Travel Insurance

Get 20% off your Travel Insurance with discount code: LIV20

Be confident you’re covered for your trip.
Valid until 31/08/2023.

Terms and conditions       
Pre-existing medical conditions and directory

5 Star Travel Insurance from Admiral

5 Star rated Platinum level Travel Insurance

Our Platinum level cover has Defaqto's 5 Star rating.

What's travel insurance?

Travel insurance, also known as holiday insurance, protects you and your family against unexpected costs while you’re travelling or on holiday.

While it isn't a legal requirement, it covers the cost of things like medical expenses if you get ill or injured abroad, trip cancellation, stolen personal belongings and lost luggage.

What's covered

Here are some key features of our travel insurance. As with any insurance, policy limits and exclusions apply, so always read your policy book.

Emergency medical expenses

We cover reasonable and necessary emergency medical treatment costs if you get ill or injured in an accident abroad.

Cancelling or cutting your trip short

We'll cover the costs up to your policy limit of things like deposits and car parking fees if you have to cancel or cut short your trip due to unforeseen circumstances. Read more about cancellation cover.

Lost or stolen personal belongings

You can claim up to your policy limits if your personal belongings or luggage are lost, stolen or accidentally damaged during your trip.

Delayed or missed departure

If your trip is delayed or you miss your transport due to certain unforeseen circumstances, we'll cover reasonable expenses for accommodation and travel.

Personal liability and legal assistance

We'll support you with legal costs to help you claim damages or compensation for injury, illness or death during your trip.

Specific COVID-19 related events

Read about how COVID-19 affects your travel insurance on our dedicated FAQ page.

What isn’t covered by travel insurance?

This list isn’t exhaustive and doesn’t include exclusions for our specialist travel insurance like adventurous sport and winter sport.

  • flights cancelled or delayed for any reason other than adverse weather, strike, or mechanical breakdown
  • claims related to flights that don't start or end in the UK (connected flights) • trip cancellation because you’ve changed your mind
  • pre-existing medical conditions you've not declared
  • claims related to death or illness of someone not on the policy linked to conditions they had when you bought your policy
  • lost or stolen items you've left unattended
  • claims where you can't give us evidence, for example, a police report or receipts
  • being denied entry because you don't have passports or the correct visas
  • extreme sports, winter sports or cruise trips unless you've paid for the additional cover
  • circumstances that aren’t specified in your policy

However, check your policy book for all exclusions.

Terms and Conditions

LIV20 discount Terms and Conditions

  1. Admiral is a trading name of EUI Limited (Company Number 02686904) whose registered office is at Ty Admiral, David Street, Cardiff CF10 2EH (“the Promoter”).
  2. This promotion is available to new and existing Admiral customers.
  3. Eligible customers will receive a 20% discount for Admiral Travel Insurance when purchasing a new Admiral Travel Insurance policy (the “Discount”).
  4. To apply the Discount, customers must purchase a Single or Annual Travel Insurance quote via and enter code LIV20 when prompted at the checkout.
  5. The Discount will be deducted from the total balance when purchasing the policy.
  6. The Discount will remain available until 31/08/23 after which it shall automatically expire.
  7. This promotion cannot be combined with any other promotion or be used via a price comparison website.
  8. The Promoter reserves the right to withdraw, modify or terminate this promotion in whole or in part, if it is necessary to do so.
  9. The terms and conditions of this promotion do not alter or vary the terms and conditions of any Admiral Travel Insurance policy which may be purchased.
  10. Applications for insurance policies provided by the Promoter are subject to its normal terms and conditions including its underwriting criteria. The Promoter reserves the right to decline any application for any insurance policy at its absolute discretion and is not obliged to disclose any reason for rejection. In these cases, the customer will not be eligible to receive the Discount.
  11. Any fraudulent activity or abuse relating to the receipt and use of the Discount may result in the forfeiture of the Discount and termination of the insurance policy.
  12. These terms and conditions are to be governed by English and Welsh law and are subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English and Welsh courts."

Why do I need Travel Insurance?

Choosing a travel insurance policy that suits your needs offers financial protection against travel-related emergencies. In particular, getting ill abroad can be very expensive as most countries don’t provide free medical care in the same way as in the UK.

For example, in the US, you're charged for an ambulance call out, meaning a trip to the hospital could cost tens of thousands of pounds.
If you’re travelling to an EU country or Switzerland, a GHIC card can reduce the cost of medical expenses or make them free of charge, but it won’t fully cover you for medical treatment or repatriation.

What type of travel insurance is best for me?

Whether you're flying solo or travelling with your friends and family, we cover the UK, Europe and worldwide.

Single Trip Insurance

Cover for one trip lasting up to 365 days for travellers aged 18 up to 85 years, depending on the destination.

Annual Travel Insurance

Cover for 12 months on an unlimited number of trips lasting up to 31 days each. This is for travellers aged 18 up to 79, depending on region of cover

You can speak to us about covering trips lasting longer than 31 days for an additional premium. These aren’t guaranteed and are subject to approval from our underwriting team.

Travelling with pre-existing medical conditions

If you have a pre-existing medical condition, you must tell us about it when getting a quote to see if we can offer cover and to avoid invalidating your policy. We can't cover your pre-existing medical conditions unless you've:

  • declared them all on your policy
  • had written confirmation that we'll cover your medical condition
  • paid any additional premium in full

If you're unsure what to declare or unable to find your condition on the medical conditions list, please call 0333 234 9913.

Please note, if you've tested positive for COVID-19 and been prescribed medication, received treatment, or had a consultation with a doctor or hospital specialist for any medical condition in the past two years, this must be declared on your policy.

Unfortunately, we can't offer cover for all medical conditions. If you have a serious health condition, we recommend using MoneyHelper's travel insurance directory or calling 0800 138 7777 (open Monday to Friday 8:00-18:00 excl. bank holidays).

How to get cheaper travel insurance

There are a few things you can do to lower your travel insurance costs:

Choose the right policy type

If you’re planning multiple trips in the next year, an annual travel insurance policy is usually cheaper than buying a single trip policy for each trip.

Avoid doubling up on cover

Many UK bank accounts offer travel insurance as a premium benefit, so make sure that you’re not paying twice for the same insurance.

Check your home insurance

Protecting your personal belongings abroad is important, but many home or contents policies cover your things away from home.

Combine your policy

It might be cheaper to buy group travel insurance if you’re travelling with your family or your partner. Adults must live at the same address to be on the policy together.

We need to know a few things to get your quote

What type of travel insurance you need

Do you have one trip planned or multiple trips for the year?

About your trip

  • your destination or region
  • how long you're going for
  • who you're travelling with

Traveller details

  • name
  • date of birth
  • address
  • contact information

Any medical conditions

Let us know if you have any medical conditions we need to know about.

How to claim on your travel insurance

We may ask for original receipts, invoices or medical records to support your claim.

Read your policy book

Check that we cover the event you want to claim for

Prepare your information

You'll need documents to support your claim

Contact us

Visit our make a claim page for our contact details or log into MyAccount

Your questions answered

Is Coronavirus covered by my travel insurance?

To find out how Covid-19 affects your travel insurance, take a look at our dedicated FAQ page

Is it illegal to travel without holiday insurance?

No, it's not a legal requirement but it gives you cover against things like cancelled holidays, missed transports, missing luggage and injury while abroad.

Does travel insurance cover natural disasters?

Cover for catastrophes including fire, storm, lightning, avalanche, landslide, explosion, hurricane, earthquake, volcanic activity including ash cloud, flood, tidal wave, tsunami, medical epidemic or pandemic are all included as standard on our Gold and Platinum policies. This cover is not included in our Admiral level policy. 

My partner and I live at separate addresses, can we still buy a couple policy?

No, you would need to buy individual policies. Our definitions are:

  • Individual policy – one adult aged 18 or over.
  • Couple policy - two adults aged 18 or over who live at the same address and are in a relationship.
  • Family policy – two adults aged 18 or over who live at the same address plus at least one child (maximum 5).
  • Family one adult policy – one adult plus at least one child (maximum 5).

What is your definition of Europe?

When we refer to Europe, we are referring to the following countries and territories: Albania, Andorra, Austria, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark (including Faroe Islands), Egypt, Estonia, Finland (including Aland), France (including Corsica), Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy (including Sardinia and Sicily), Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Morocco, Netherlands, Norway (including Svalbard), Poland, Portugal (including Azores and Madeira), Republic of Ireland, Romania, Russia (West of Urals), San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain (including the Balearic and Canary Islands), Sweden, Switzerland, Tunisia, Turkey, Ukraine, The United Kingdom (including Channel Islands and Isle of Man), Vatican City.

Am I covered for private medical treatment?

No, you will need to have any private treatment pre-authorised by the Emergency Assistance Service. If you are travelling in Europe, Australia or New Zealand you can access public health services, free of charge and you won’t be required to pay any excesses on the Medical Expenses section of your policy.

What happens if I'm the victim of a terrorist attack while I'm abroad?

First of all, we hope that this is never the case. But, if you do need emergency assistance, please call +44 (0)29 2010 7777 at any time and we'll do everything we can to help.

Are there any destinations I can't travel to under my policy?

Yes, no matter which destination you select when you buy your policy, you aren't covered if you travel somewhere the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) advises not to go to. For more information see the FCDO's foreign travel advice page or call 020 7008 1500.

What cover is there for dental treatment?

With new policies, you’re covered for up to £400 for “emergency dental treatment for the immediate relief of pain to your natural teeth incurred outside of your home area” under the Emergency Medical and Repatriation section of your cover (subject to your excess).

Can I upgrade my travel policy cover level after I’ve taken it out?

No, sorry. Currently, this isn’t possible.

Is terrorism covered?

Terrorism is excluded from all sections of the policy except for the Emergency Medical and Repatriation section, Personal Accident section and Hijack section (where cover is provided as part of the platinum tier only).

Terrorism is any act or threat of action by a person or group intended to influence a government or to frighten the public or any section of it.

Acts of terrorism can include:

  • Violence against a person
  • Damage to property
  • Putting life in danger
  • Creating a health risk to the public
  • Interfering with or seriously disrupting computer systems or transport services including cyber terrorism
  • Biological, chemical or nuclear force or contamination

Can I get cover in the event of scheduled airline failure?

We will not pay any claim due to the actions or failure of any company providing or organising your transport or accommodation, to provide those services (whether caused by error, insolvency, bankruptcy, liquidation, omission, default or other reason).

Do I need to declare existing medical conditions to get Admiral cover?

Declaring your medical conditions will ensure you are purchasing a policy which meets your needs. It’s important you supply accurate and complete answers to all questions as failure to do so could mean your policy is invalid and/or your claim is not paid in full or refused.

I have an Annual Multi-Trip policy. What is the longest I can go on holiday for?

You can take as many trips as you wish within 365 days (as per the dates shown on your policy schedule), providing each trip lasts no more than 31 days. Cover for extended trips may be available on request, subject to underwriting approval and payment of an additional premium.

Take a look at our Annual Travel Insurance page to learn more.

Will my holiday insurance cover me if the travel agent/tour operator/airline company goes into administration?

No it doesn't cover this. If the company is an ABTA member, you can submit a claim to them for the cost of your holiday.

Do you cover children under 18?

Cover can’t be bought for a child under the age of 18 alone. A child under 18 can be added to our family policies where at least one adult over the age of 18 is also going on the trip (single trip policies).

A child can be added to annual multi trip family policies where the insured adult will travel later in the policy term. Each insured child under the age of 18 will only be covered if they’re travelling with a responsible adult. This adult doesn’t need to be insured with us.

What happens if I can't return from my trip on my planned date because of illness or injury; am I still covered?

Yes, we extend your policy and continue to provide cover in those circumstances where the delay is completely outside of your control.

I don't live in the UK – can I get travel cover?

Unfortunately not. It's only available to permanent residents of the UK (England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales and the Isle of Man).

What happens if strike/industrial action disrupts my trip?

Provided you weren’t aware of the strike/industrial action at the time you booked your policy, and it wasn’t public knowledge, we’ll pay up to the limits shown in your policy schedule for irrecoverable costs you've paid.

What happens if my baggage is delayed, lost or stolen?

If your baggage is delayed or lost in transit, you should tell the company transporting your baggage within 24 hours of discovery. Ask them to complete a Property Irregularity Report or give you with a baggage loss receipt. If your baggage is delayed for more than 12 hours from when you arrive at your destination, your policy provides cover to buy necessary items (up to £50, £100 or £150 depending on your tier of cover).

If your baggage is stolen, you should report this to the local police within 24 hours of discovering the theft and get a written report. You can claim (up to £1,000, £1,500 or £2,500 depending on your tier) for stolen or lost items. There's a single item limit and total valuables limit (up to £200, £300 or £400 depending on your tier).

Are there any charges to change my policy?

No, we don’t charge any admin fees.

What should I do if I or someone travelling with me becomes ill during my holiday?

If you or someone covered by your policy becomes ill or is injured during your trip and needs emergency medical treatment, please go to a public medical facility and contact our 24 hour emergency assistance line on +44 (0)29 2010 7777 as soon as you can.

Please call this number if you're unsure where to get treatment, you think costs may go over £500, or you think you'll need to cut your trip short.

For minor ailments while abroad, pharmacies and public health facilities are often able to give advice and provide treatment. If costs are more than the policy excess and you want to make a claim, please keep all receipts and call our claims line on 0333 234 9914.

Does my policy allow someone to travel out to be with me if I am ill abroad?

Yes. If you've been given medical advice that someone should stay with you and that requires someone travelling from the UK to be with you, we'll cover the reasonable extra transport and accommodation costs (up to the policy limit) for that person.

How long can I travel for?

The maximum length of a Single Trip policy is 12 months, making it ideal for backpackers and students taking a gap year. If you choose an Annual Multi-Trip policy you can take as many trips as you wish within 365 days (as per the dates shown on your policy schedule), providing each trip lasts no more than 31 days. Cover for extended trips may be available on request, subject to underwriting approval and payment of an additional premium.

How to extend travel insurance due to illness or injury

if you have to extend your trip for medical reasons our policies will automatically provide cover until you return home.

If you have a single trip policy and need to change your travel dates, you must contact us before you go on your trip.

If you have annual multi-trip cover, the maximum length per trip on the policy is 31 days.

If your annual policy is due to end while you're on holiday and your policy is not set up to automatically renew, please contact us before you travel so we can arrange for your policy to continue while you're away.

What should I do if my travel is disrupted by severe weather?

We’ll pay £25 for each 12 hours you are delayed (up to a maximum of £250) from starting your journey due to severe weather.

If your transport is delayed for more than 24 hours or cancelled and cannot be rearranged for over 24 hours, cover is provided (for costs up to £1,000 on Admiral, £2,500 on Admiral Gold and £5,000 on Admiral Platinum) if you decide to cancel or abandon your trip.

Additional transport and accommodation cover* - If you decide to continue with your trip after being delayed for more than 24 hours or because your transport was cancelled and no alternative could be found within 24 hours of your original departure time, we’ll reimburse you (up to £500, £750 or £1,000 depending on your tier of cover) for additional transport and accommodation costs that matches the standard of what you’d originally booked.

We won't make any payments if they aren’t additional to costs you were already expecting to pay - for example if you get a refund and the cost of alternative transport or accommodation is less than the refund. Check your policy book for full details.

Do you cover my car if it breaks down when I'm driving in Europe?

No, your holiday insurance doesn't cover car breakdown. However, if you have Admiral Car Insurance, you can extend this to provide European Breakdown Cover. This covers you and your car in case it breaks down while abroad in Europe.

What does excess mean in travel insurance?

The policy excess is the amount you must pay towards any claim. The excess applies to each insured person and each event that leads to a claim.

Can I get one-way travel insurance?

No, Admiral doesn't offer one way travel insurance. To buy our cover, you'll need to be travelling from and returning to the UK.

Do you cover travellers over the age of 70 for Annual Multi-Trip policies?

Yes, we can provide worldwide cover for customers up to the age of 79 years for annual multi trip policies – and up to 85 years for single trip policies.

However, the age limit and level of cover we can offer will depend on your personal information and details of your holiday.

Please get a quote or contact us to find out more.

Do you cover travellers over the age of 70 for Single Trip policies?

Yes, we can provide worldwide cover for customers up to the age of 79 years for annual multi trip policies – and up to 85 years for single trip policies.

However, the age limit and level of cover we can offer will depend on your personal information and details of your holiday.

Please get a quote or contact us to find out more.

Am I covered if my flights are disrupted because of Brexit?

You’ll be covered if there’s any disruption to your flights (in line with current cover and exclusions) if you already have travel cover or have booked a trip on your annual policy.

If there’s an official warning from the Government or airlines that suggests flights are likely to be disrupted, customers buying new policies may not be covered.

I don’t want to travel because of Brexit – can I cancel my trip?

If you decide you don’t want to travel because of Brexit and end up cancelling your trip, you won’t be able to claim. Not wanting to travel isn’t a valid cancellation reason for claiming.

Will I need a visa to travel to the EU after Brexit?

In the future, it's possible UK citizens will need a travel permit as part of the European Travel Information and Authorisation Scheme (ETIAS). 

If you can’t go on your trip because you don’t have the correct visa or permit, you won’t be able to claim on your cover.

How long will I need on my passport after Brexit?

The Government recommends UK travellers have at least six months left on their passports from the date they arrive in an EU country when travelling after 29 March 2019. Check the validity of your passport online with this handy tool.

If you can’t go on your trip as you don’t have enough time left on your passport (or you didn’t renew it in time), you won’t be able to make a claim.

Can I still use my EHIC card after Brexit?

If there’s a no-deal Brexit, your EHIC card may no longer be valid. The travel cover you receive won’t change, but the countries where you pay your policy excess when you claim will.

Without the EHIC, there’s no reciprocal health agreement in place between the UK and EU countries, so you’ll need to pay your policy excess when making a medical claim.

If you have a medical emergency while you're abroad, you're injured, fall ill, or have to cut your trip short please call our 24-hour Emergency Assistance Helpline on +44 (0)292 010 7777.

show more

Useful guides

Are your personal possessions insured for travel?

Are your personal possessions insured for travel?

Read more
Holiday cancellation cover and travel insurance

Holiday cancellation cover and travel insurance

Read more
The best time to book your holiday or flight

The best time to book your holiday or flight

Read more

How we calculate your travel insurance premium

We use multiple factors to calculate travel insurance prices. We constantly check the prices we charge to offer you the best travel insurance premium, but prices also fluctuate depending on the market. Here are a few factors:

  • Where you’re going — where you’re going heavily influences how much you’ll pay for travel insurance. The destination tells us how expensive medical treatment is and how much it’d cost to fly you home in an emergency.
  • How long you’re going for — simply put, the longer you’re away from home, the higher the risk of you having an accident or losing your things.
  • Who you’re travelling with — the age and medical history of everyone travelling impacts your premium price.
  • Any medical conditions — depending on the severity of the condition (and, therefore, the potential cost and likelihood of treatment), your premium is likely to be higher.
  • The cost of medical treatments — on average, the cost of medical treatment is higher outside of Europe. Plus UK citizens can use a GHIC card in the EU to access treatment and, in some cases, reduce the cost.
  • What you’ll do on your trip — you increase your risk of injury on winter sports trips, meaning it’ll cost more to insure. But, without specialist cover, any related claims will be rejected.
  • What’s going on in the world — currency fluctuations can make it more expensive for us to settle claims with companies or services based abroad. Increased risk of terrorism, airline strikes or natural disasters will also impact your premium.
  • Insurance Premium Tax (IPT) — by law, we add a 20% tax to your travel insurance premium. Read more about why we do this.

How to get a travel insurance quote

We need to know a few things to get your quote

What type of travel insurance you need

Do you have one trip planned or multiple trips for the year?

About your trip

  • Your destination or region
  • How long you're going for
  • Who you're travelling with

Traveller details

  • Name
  • Date of Birth
  • Address
  • Contact information

Any medical conditions

Let us know if you have any medical conditions we need to know about.

View other travel insurance options

Going anywhere nice?

Off to one of the destinations below? Take a look at our guides for some hints and tips on what you need to remember.

Travel insurance that suits you

Whether you're travelling solo, with your family, or with a little one on the way, read our guides to make sure our cover is right for you.

Travel Insurance upgrades

Whether you want the adrenaline rush of a skiing holiday, or fancy taking to the seas on a cruise, you'll need to add extra cover to your policy.