Home Insurance FAQs

Quick search the answers to our most frequently asked questions or browse the full set below


Things to tell us about

What if I can't pay my monthly Direct Debit payments?

If you’re struggling to make your monthly Direct Debit payments, please let us know as soon as possible. Choose one of the options on the contact us page (phone, Messaging or email).

There are different ways we might be able to help, like:

  • changing the payment due date
  • postponing the payment due date
  • removing optional extras or policy upgrades you no longer need
  • changing your policy details to reflect any new circumstances (e.g. reduced mileage or fewer named drivers)
  • cancelling your policy (if appropriate)

We can also speak to somebody else on your behalf if you prefer. We’ll need your permission.

What do I need to specify on my policy?

A specified item is any high risk item (e.g. jewellery, laptops or musical instruments) over £2,000. If your item exceeds this limit, it must be listed on your Home Policy Schedule to be covered on your policy.

Please let us know if you need to update any specified items on your policy or contact us if you are unsure if your item should be specified.

How do I make a change to my cover?

You must tell us about changes like moving home, renovations, renting or leaving your property unoccupied. Please refer to the "Keeping your policy up to date" section of the policy book. It'll have the full list of when you need to update the policy.

If you need to make changes to your cover, contact us.

If you're unsure whether you need to tell us about a change, call us and check.

If I claim for a specified item, do I need to tell you about the replacement?

If you lose or damage a specified item we'll remove it from the policy as part of the claims process as it'll no longer need cover. If the replacement is worth over £2,000, you must specify the new item with our Customer Services Department.

You won't need to take any action if the claim is validated and you receive vouchers or a cash settlement and choose NOT to replace the item.

show more

What our Home Insurance covers

What is accidental damage?

Accidental damage is a sudden, unexpected and visible loss or damage which isn't deliberate e.g., breaking a window by mistake or spilling something on a sofa. Call us if you wish to add this to your Admiral or Gold tier policy.

Am I covered for accidental damage?

Accidental damage cover for your Buildings or Contents is standard for Platinum customers. If you wish to add this onto to your Admiral or Gold tier policy, simply give us a call to upgrade.

What is matching items cover and when does it apply?

We include matching items cover on our Platinum tier. It covers you for replacing undamaged items if a part of a set is damaged and we can't find a replacement—for example, bathroom suites, fitted kitchens, floor and wall coverings or furniture suites.

What is new for old?

It means we'll replace an item as if it is brand new rather than second-hand. It only applies if your claim is valid and an item is replaced rather than repaired.

Are my bicycle and its accessories covered?

Bicycles worth £350 or less are covered as standard on all Admiral Home Insurance policies. Accessories are also covered whilst attached to your bicycle.

If your bicycle is worth more than £350, you'll need to add it as a specified item. You can contact us here if you want to add a bicycle as a specified item.

Is my mobile phone covered under my household policy and do I need to specify it?

We classify mobile phones as high-risk items, which we cover under your contents policy. You may need to specify your mobile on your policy if it's worth more than the unspecified items limit.

The unspecified item limit is usually £2,000, but please check this in your policy documents. Contact us if you need to add your mobile phone to your policy.

What if I have a leak and can't see where it is coming from?

Sometimes leaks can happen where we can't see them. If you suspect a leak within your home you may have cover to remove or replace any part of the building to resolve this under trace and access cover (subject to policy limits). If you need to make a claim or have any questions, please contact us.

I've recently had some work done to my home which is poor. Am I covered?

Your home insurance policy doesn't cover faulty workmanship, installation or design. However, if you have Family Legal Protection, you may have cover to help you resolve these issues. Platinum customers have Family Legal Protection as standard. You can find full details in your policy documents.

What is 'cover away from home', is it included on my policy?

'Cover Away from Home' covers personal possessions you take away from your home. We include it as standard for Platinum customers. If you would like to add this to your policy, contact us.

Do you cover renovations or improvements to my home?

Insurance covers you for unexpected loss or damage to your home or contents. However, loss or damage caused by faulty design, inadequate or inaccurate plans or specifications, faulty materials or poor workmanship are not covered. Contact us as soon as possible if you want to make a claim.

What does buildings insurance cover?

Buildings insurance covers the structure of your home and its permanent fixtures and fittings, including your garages and outbuildings.

What does contents insurance cover?

It covers the contents in your home, which we consider to be household goods, high-risk items and personal belongings, which you or your family own or are legally responsible for. Tenant's fixtures and fittings are considered contents on our policies too. You can learn more about what we define as contents in your policy's 'Definitions' section.

What’s subsidence and am I covered for it?

Subsidence is when the ground below your home sinks. It puts your home at risk of damage as the foundations can drop, resulting in movement. Subsidence can cause cracking in your walls and floors.

We offer cover for loss and damage caused by subsidence, heave and landslip, with some exclusions applicable to this cover. If you suspect your home is suffering from subsidence, contact us to discuss the best course of action.

How do I spot subsidence?

When ground movement occurs, this may result in subsidence and cracks in walls. These cracks are commonly diagonal or vertical, usually wider at the top and taper to a point. Wrinkling or creasing of internal wallpaper is also a common sign of subsidence. Contact us if you have any questions.

What's alternative accommodation?

Alternative accommodation and loss of rent are available if your home is not fit to live in because of an event covered under your policy, or following a compulsory evacuation of your home by a local authority or emergency services. This part of the policy covers reasonable temporary accommodation costs for you, your family and your pets while a supplier repairs your home. It may also cover any ground rent you still have to pay and rent you would have received under a contract if your home were let (including short-term letting). Please check your policy for the full terms and conditions of what is and isn't covered.

What if I’m evacuated from my home?

Alternative accommodation and loss of rent are also available following a compulsory evacuation from your home by a local authority or emergency service. This covers the reasonable temporary accommodation costs for you, your family and your pets, until the local authority or emergency services confirm you can return to your home. This cover is available on our buildings policies only. Please check your policy for the full terms and conditions of what is and isn't covered

What's wear and tear, and is it covered under my policy?

Wear and tear isn't covered under most insurance policies. It refers to damage which happens gradually. For example, wet or dry rot, gradual exposure to sunlight, the house settling in the ground over time, worn carpet, mould, mildew, rust or corrosion effects.

How do you decide if there's been a storm and are gates, fences, and hedges covered?

The policy definition of a storm is wind with gusts of at least 55mph, heavy rainfall at a rate of at least 25mm per hour, snow to a depth of at least 30cm in 24 hours or hail that causes damage to hard surfaces or breaks glass. We don't cover storm damage or loss to any gate, fence or hedge. However, please check in your policy booklet if you are claiming for a different cause.

Where can I find my policy limits?

You can find these on your Home Policy Schedule in MyAccount. Contact us if you need help.

show more


What's my excess?

You can find all your total excess amounts in your Policy Schedule by logging into MyAccount if you're an existing customer.

How do I know which excess applies to my claim?

Your total excess is made up of a compulsory excess and the voluntary excess you chose when you purchased your policy. A higher compulsory excess applies if you claim for escape of water, flood or subsidence.

The higher of the two excess applies if your claim involves both Buildings and Contents.

Log into MyAccount and view your documents to see your excesses.



How long will my claim take?

Each claim is different so the time taken to complete your claim will vary.

If you're unsure of your claims status you can contact us directly via phone or Messaging. Alternatively you can contact the supplier dealing with your claim (in this case we would have provided you with their contact details).

Contact us if you've already had a quote or estimate, then we can discuss the option of a cash settlement, which can speed up the process.

Is it worth me making a claim?

When deciding to make a claim, we recommend checking your policy details, including the excess and your cover levels, by logging into MyAccount. You can contact us via phone or Messaging to check these details too.

How do you decide whether my item is repaired or replaced?

There are a few ways we can settle a claim, including repairing an item, replacing an item, restoring (cleaning) an item, providing vouchers, paying you the cost to replace it or undertake repairs or restoring your home or belongings.

We'll consider policy limits and the sum you have asked us to insure you for (both available in your policy documents).

If you already have a quote or estimate, you can contact us to discuss the option of a cash settlement, which can speed up the process.

Can I just replace the item or complete the repair and send you the invoice? What about emergency repairs?

As your policy states, you must notify us of your claim as soon as possible. If you proceed with repairs or remove any damaged items before informing us, it may limit the information we have to validate your claim. This could result in your claim settlement being reduced or not being paid.

We may reimburse you for reasonable costs if you need to undertake emergency repairs or remove items to limit damage to your home. We'll need copies of the receipt/invoice for any completed work and any photos/evidence of the damage. We can use this evidence to validate your claim.

If it is an emergency check your policy details to see if you have Home Emergency cover.

Why have you appointed a supplier to deal with my claim?

We appoint suppliers to assist us in validating and resolving your claim. We use loss adjustors and surveyors to visit your property and validate claims. If the claim is accepted, we have a network of specialist suppliers who can work together to restore your home or contents. We also have suppliers that can assist with electronics, alternative accommodation, glazing, locks, etc.

What information will you need from me to support my claim?

We may ask you for information to support your claim, such as receipts, invoices or valuations dated before the item was insured, instruction booklets, photographs or details of where and when you purchased an item. If you do not have supporting documents it may limit the amount you can claim for or you may not be able to make a claim. Please don't throw away the damaged item; it could help us settle your claim faster.

Can I have a cash payment to settle my claim?

We'll pay in cash or vouchers up to the amount we could repair, restore or replace the item if you request and agree to a cash settlement.

Should I get estimates/quotes before making a claim?

Notify us as soon as possible if you wish to claim for something. If you need help deciding whether to make a claim, you can obtain quotes to help.

Remember: your policy requires you to limit the damage to your home. We also ask that a qualified person produces the quotes.

If you do obtain your own estimates or quotes and want to proceed with a cash settlement, contact us.

We're always here for you, and if you change your mind or would like to register a claim, please don't hesitate to contact us.

If my limit is £1000, do I get £1000?

Not always. The amount of money you receive in a settlement is not the maximum limit in a policy section. It's the cost of the replacement or repair of the item minus any excess.

If I need to move out of my house, where will I go?

If your home is uninhabitable, we'll discuss some options, including a hotel stay or short-term let. It'll depend on your circumstances.

I don’t want to move out, but I don’t have full facilities at my house. Can you help?

You don't need to leave your home, providing it's safe to remain living there. We can help make your home more comfortable by providing temporary washing, cooking or cleaning facilities. We can offer payment to cover any inconvenience this causes, too. If you prefer this option instead of alternative accommodation, please speak to your Claims Handler.

How does a claim impact my future premium?

Any claim you make on your policy can impact your future premium. We can't tell you the impact it'll have at the point of the claim. However, at renewal, we'll send full details of the new premium in your renewal pack.

show more

Home Emergency Cover

What’s the difference between Home Emergency cover and Home Emergency Extra cover?

Home Emergency cover pays up to £500 for any heating or boiler emergency. It now also includes cover for emergencies relating to plumbing, drainage, windows, doors and locks.

Home Emergency Extra covers includes everything Home Emergency cover does, plus additional cover for roofing, pests, and electrical emergencies. The claims limit is £1,000.

It also provides a contribution of £250 if your boiler is deemed beyond economic repair.

My boiler is beyond economic repair. Will you contribute to its replacement?

Our Home Emergency Extra cover provides a contribution of £250 towards replacing your boiler.

Home Emergency cover doesn’t include this benefit.

What happens if the cost of a repair is more than the claims limit?

The claims limit is £500 for Home Emergency cover, and £1,000 for Home Emergency Extra cover. If your emergency repair costs more, you’ll need to pay any amount over the limit.

Will making a Home Emergency claim affect my premium?

No. Home Emergency claims don’t affect your premium, and there’s no excess to pay.

Can I contact my own tradesperson?

Only if we’ve agreed to it beforehand.

Am I covered for other full repairs?

Full repairs aren't covered under the terms of the policy. Home Emergency and Home Emergency Extra policies cover temporary repairs to protect you and your property from further damage.

Once a temporary repair has been made, it’s recommended you use your own engineer to complete a permanent repair.

Can I make a claim 48 hours after discovering the emergency?

No, Home Emergency and Home Emergency Extra cover only covers emergencies reported within the first 48 hours of being discovered.

There's a possibility we may make an exception if there's an underlying reason why you couldn't report it within that timeframe.

What should I do if I want to report a Home Emergency claim and a Household claim?

You should report your home emergency within 48 hours of discovering it. Please visit our make a claim page to register your claim online or find our contact details.

Once you’ve reported your home emergency, register your Buildings or Contents claim by logging into MyAccount or calling us. You can find our phone number on the make a claim page.

How can I make a claim?

You must report your home emergency within 48 hours of discovery. Please visit our make a claim page to register your claim online or find our contact details.

Is there an excess?

No. Excess doesn't apply for a Home Emergency claim.

My spare keys have been stolen and there's no damage to the doors. Will you replace my locks?

Key theft isn't covered under your Home Emergency policy. However, your main household policy could cover it. Follow this link to find out how to register a home insurance claim.

Can you replace my boiler?

Home Emergency and Home Emergency Extra covers temporary repairs only. As such, a full boiler replacement isn't covered under the terms of the policy.

However if you have Home Emergency Extra cover, we can offer a £250 contribution if your boiler is deemed beyond economic repair.

My product and limits are different to what I can see on the product pages. Why is that?

We used to offer Boiler Emergency cover and Home Emergency cover.

We now offer two tiers of emergency cover – Home Emergency and Home Emergency Extra cover. They both include cover for your boiler, as well as some improved benefits.

show more

Family Legal Protection

What is family legal protection and what does it cover?

Family Legal Protection aims to provide affordable access to legal help. It protects our customers and their families from costs relating to legal issues covered by the policy. For example, we could cover matters like employment disputes and contract disputes with third parties.

The policy has free over-the-phone legal advice with qualified advisors on any personal legal issue under UK and EU law. For full details of the cover, please refer to the 'Guide to Family Legal Protection' in your policy wording.

DAS Legal Expenses Insurance Company (DAS) provides this cover. Please see your policy documents for their contact details.

Platinum policies include this cover as standard, but contact us if you wish to add it to your Admiral or Gold policy.

Why do you use a supplier for this type of policy?

We use a supplier for this service to ensure you have the specialist guidance, assistance and representation you need.

How often can I call the legal advice helpline?

As often as you need. There are no limits on how many times you can call.

Can I claim for a problem that started before I bought the policy?

You can’t claim for legal disputes that started before your cover start date.

What are the reasonable prospects of success?

A solicitor reviews all civil Family Legal Protection claims to see if your claim will likely succeed. For a claim to be accepted, it must meet the definition of reasonable prospects of success, which means you must have a 51% chance (or more) of winning your case.

I live alone and don't have any immediate family. Can I purchase Family Legal Protection?

Yes, you can. Family Legal Protection covers legal expenses up to £100,000 per claim for any personal legal matter that affects you or your family. You can find full details in your policy documents.

Who does Family Legal Protection cover?

The policy covers you and any member of your family who permanently lives with you. This could include students temporarily living away from home and unmarried partners.

Can I use my own lawyer?

At the start of a claim, DAS/Arc Legal will appoint one of their preferred law firms to act as your appointed representative. They'll always try to settle your claim without going to court. If it's necessary to go to court and legal proceedings are issued, or if there is a conflict of interest, you may choose your law firm to act as an appointed representative. If you prefer your law firm, DAS or Arc Legal will only pay them the amount they would pay their preferred firms. The amount DAS and Arc Legal will pay a law firm when acting as appointed representatives is currently £100 per hour.

How long will it take for my claim to be settled?

It varies. A legal claim can take a few weeks or many years to settle, depending on the complexity of the claim, the type of peril and the general legal environment.

What happens if my legal costs exceed £100,000?

You'll be responsible for any costs which exceed the policy limit.

show more

Want more product information?

Click below to see what our home insurance covers and how it works.

Home Insurance