Buildings Insurance

Three levels of cover with prices from just £68

10% of Admiral level buildings customers between Jan 2018 - Jun 2018 paid from £68. Includes MultiCover customers.

Choose the right cover for you

Insuring your home can be confusing, which is why we offer three simple buildings packages for you to choose from.

Admiral Buildings Insurance covers your home's essentials.

Gold level is great value, just like Admiral cover, but with some handy added extras.

Admiral Platinum is full-featured cover for people who want more from their home insurer.

See what's included

Compare our three levels of cover. Values shown are the maximum claim limits





Buildings Sum Insured
(eligibility criteria applies)




Alternative Accommodation




Replacement Locks / Keys




Property Owners' Liability

£1 Million

£2 Million

£2 Million

Emergency Access - Buildings




24 Hour Emergency Helpline




Plumbing Installation




Legal And Other Rebuild Fees




Garage Or Outbuildings




Emergency Access - Gardens




Tracing And Accessing A Leak




Sale Of Home




Matching Set / Pair / Suite




What is buildings insurance?

Buildings insurance covers the structure and fittings of your home as well as everything permanently fixed down such as the walls, roof, ceilings, fitted kitchens, bathroom suites, windows, doors and built-in cupboards and wardrobes. Garages and outbuildings are also covered. Your personal belongings would be covered by contents insurance.

What does building insurance cover?

Admiral will cover your house against natural or manmade disasters, including:

  • Fires
  • Water leaks
  • Vandalism
  • Malicious damage
  • Lightning strikes
  • Earthquakes
  • Floods
  • Subsidence

Calculating the rebuild cost of your home

It's no surprise that having to rebuild all, or part of your home, after an incident can be costly, which is why it's best to be prepared for any surprises.

When arranging this cover it's important the sum insured is the full rebuild cost of your property and not to over or under estimate the value of your home.

Over-estimating could result in you paying higher premiums over the year, while under-estimating could leave you out of pocket if you need to make a claim at a later date.

To ensure you have the right figure for the rebuild costs consider the costs of:

  • Materials
  • Labour
  • Architects

Before you start your sums, take a look at our handy guide on working out the costs of a rebuild. And, the Association of British Insurers has a free calculator you can use.

What to expect from Admiral

If your keys are lost or stolen we'll replace them no matter what level of cover you choose.

We will also provide alternative accommodation if your property or contents have suffered damage and your home is unsafe to stay in.

And, if you need emergency access, Admiral will pay out if the emergency services have to damage your building in order to gain entry to your home, up to the amount shown on your policy schedule.

Buildings Accidental Damage Cover

Accidental Damage cover is also available with our Buildings policy. It provides protection for accidental damage to your building including breakage of fixed glass in windows and doors, damage to fitted sinks, toilets and showers, as well as ceramic hobs in fitted kitchens.

Depending on the level of Buildings cover you choose, Accidental Damage may automatically be included as part of the policy - the table below shows this information.

Find out more about accidental damage

Your questions answered

We're sure you'll love our great insurance products but maybe you have a few questions. You can find answers in this section.

Is buildings insurance compulsory?

If you are buying your own home, buildings insurance is usually a condition imposed by your mortgage lender. It will cover you for the cost of rebuilding your house if it is damaged or completely destroyed.

Is buildings insurance the same as home insurance?

Home insurance itself is a general term used to explain the combination of both buildings and contents insurance. Whereas buildings insurance by itself covers you for the structure of the property.

Admiral Home Insurance offers a policy for combined buildings and contents insurance.

Do you need buildings insurance for an unoccupied property?

If you want your buildings covered while your property is unoccupied, you need this type of cover. As long as you notify us the amount of time your property is covered for when left unoccupied are; 30 days on Admiral, 45 days on Admiral Gold and 60 days on Admiral Platinum.

For more information see our Insuring an Unoccupied House guide.

How do I calculate the rebuild cost of my home?

The rebuild cost is to completely rebuild a house that is identical to yours, this includes the labour and materials cost.

Typically the cost to rebuild your home is less than the market value; you might find this value in your Structural/Building Survey or Home Buyers Report under 'Rebuild Value'. It is important to estimate the rebuild correctly, so you don't pay too much for your insurance or be underinsured in the event of a claim. Remember to include garages and outbuildings and take into account any special features or materials.

The ABI offer a rebuild cost calculator to help you, or you can get an accurate calculation through a surveyor. You can find a local surveyor by contacting Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS).

How do I know when my property was built?

You will find this on the deeds or if you have a mortgage on the property you can contact your mortgage provider who will have this on record.

Is a garage considered a room?

A garage is considered an outbuilding. So a garage would not be considered as a room, but instead would be covered under the outbuildings cover.

What is landslip?

This is the downward movement of sloping ground.

What is subsidence?

This is the downward movement of the ground beneath the building where the soil is unstable. Read more on what is subsidence?

What is accidental damage cover?

Accidental damage is any unintentional one-off incident. Accidental Damage cover is available with our Buildings Insurance policy. Depending on the level of cover you choose Accidental damage may automatically be included as part of the policy. The cover can include:

  • Glass and sanitary accidental damage
  • Full buildings accidental damage

You can find out more here.

Do I have to get my buildings insurance through my mortgage provider?

No, your mortgage provider may advise that you must have this cover however it’s up to you where you buy it from.

It may seem like the easiest option at the time and not look that expensive when you’re working with mortgage figures but it’s definitely worth shopping around and looking at other providers.

Get a quote from Admiral.

Do you cover wear and tear?

No, an insurance policy is for the cover against loss or damage under the causes that you can find listed in your policy booklet. This does not cover maintenance of the home such as:

  • wear and tear
  • gradual decay
  • defective rendering
  • damp
  • rot
  • damage by vermin
  • failure of grout

If I make a claim, can I use my own builder?

In the event of making a claim we will pay the cost of rebuilding, repairing or replacing any damaged part of your buildings covered under your buildings policy. We will decide how to settle your claim.

We have a network of approved builders, however, if you have a preferred builder we are likely to allow you to use them as long as their quote is reasonable.

If you have a builder you specifically want to use we are likely to allow you to use your own builder as long as their quote is reasonable.

However, you will also be responsible for making sure that the quality of the work is acceptable, and if there are any problems arising from poor workmanship these will need to be resolved between you and the builder.

Is buildings insurance the same as landlords insurance?

No it’s not – if you are getting an income from a property you are letting out you’re classified as a business so standard home insurance does not cover you. Landlord insurance can cover things like accidental damage caused by tenants, legal cover and missed rent. For more information see our Landlord Insurance page.

Does building insurance cover flood and fire damage?

Yes, we will cover your house against natural or manmade disasters including fire, flood and lightning strikes.

Do leaseholders need buildings insurance?

It is the responsibility of the landlord who owns the freehold of the property to get buildings cover in place. However, many tenants/leaseholders cover the cost of the insurance in their annual service charge.

Show Hide

Looking for something different?

If you own your home you may also need to insure your contents. Not to worry, Admiral offers great value with flexible options across all our Home Insurance products. Home Insurance is rated 9.0 out of 10 based on 8709 reviews from the last 12 months