Home Emergency cover

Keeping your home safe & secure

You can add Home Emergency Cover when you get a quote for home insurance

Ready and waiting with our 24 hour emergency helpline

Home Emergency cover arranges for a tradesperson to make your home safe and secure.

What is home emergency cover?

This home insurance add-on is designed to give you peace of mind, reassurance and support for unexpected incidents, such as broken boilers, burst pipes or leaking radiators.

Escape of water is one of the most common claims made on an Admiral Home Insurance policy, so take a look at our infographic to see where the most leaks spring from in the home and what steps you can take to prevent a leak.

After you've had your policy for seven days you'll be covered for up to £500 for call-out charges, labour and any parts that may be needed to temporarily repair an emergency in the home such as:

  • Plumbing, gas or electricity failure within your home
  • Central heating or hot water failure
  • Pest Infestation
  • Damaged windows, doors and locks
  • Roof damage as a result of a storm

What are the benefits?

  • Access to a 24-hour helpline
  • Up to £250 for overnight accommodation if it's not safe for you to stay in your home after an emergency
  • No excess to pay
  • Unlimited claims

How do I get Home Emergency?

Admiral Platinum customers get the add-on as standard. Admiral or Admiral Gold policyholders can add it as a policy upgrade - just ask one of our friendly members of staff about it when you call to take out your policy.

If you rent your home you might want to check that you don't already get this type of cover in your rental agreement.

Boiler Cover

If you're an Admiral Gold customer, you'll have Boiler Emergency included as standard on your policy. This offers boiler and central heating cover, up to £500 per claim, if your home suffers central heating, boiler or hot water failure. You can make a maximum of two claims during the policy term and there's no excess to pay.

More information

You can read more about Admiral Home Emergency and Boiler Emergency cover in our downloadable PDF documents.

Pest infestation is just one of the things covered by our Home Emergency add-on. Nobody wants to share their house with unexpected guests, so it’s important to know how to deal with a pest infestation.

Take a look at our guide on what to do if rats or other pests are living in your home.

Need to make a claim?

Just call the 24 hour Home Emergency helpline on 0345 609 4375

Please have as much information about the problem available as possible, along with your name, postcode and policy number.

Your questions answered

We're sure you'll love our great insurance products but maybe you have a few questions. You can find answers in this section.

Is home emergency cover worth it?

While this type of cover is completely optional, it’s perfect for people who want extra peace of mind they have the right cover in place should something go wrong at home. It covers things like plumbing, gas and electrical failures as well as damage to your doors and windows.

What is the difference between Boiler Emergency Cover and Home Emergency Cover?

Admiral Gold Home Insurance customers get Boiler Emergency Cover as standard; this covers up to £500 for any heating or boiler emergency. You won't pay any excess and can make two claims every policy term. Admiral Platinum customers get Home Emergency Cover as standard; this has everything that Boiler Emergency Cover includes as well as extra cover for plumbing, drainage and a range of potential home disasters. There's still no excess to pay and you can make unlimited claims. You can add Home Emergency Cover to Admiral and Admiral Gold as an upgrade.  

How do I upgrade my policy to include home emergency cover?

This benefit is included in our Platinum Home Insurance policies as standard but you can add it on as a policy upgrade when you take out Admiral level or Admiral Gold Home Insurance.

How do I make a claim?

For emergency assistance contact the 24-hour emergency helpline on 0345 609 4375. If you think you have a gas leak you should immediately call the National Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999.

Is there an excess to pay on Home Emergency Cover?

No excess will need to be paid for a boiler or home emergency claim

If I make a boiler or home emergency claim, will this affect my price?

No, boiler and home emergency claims don’t affect price of your cover

How quickly can someone come out?

We will always aim to be with you within 24 hours of your call.

My boiler is beyond economic repair, will you make a contribution to its replacement?

Boiler and Home Emergency provide temporary repairs only - we won't cover replacing your boiler or any contribution towards replacing it.

What happens if the cost of a repair is more than £500?

Up to £500 towards the cost of repairs is covered. If your temporary repair will cost more Admiral might ask you to pay towards it.

Do I need home emergency cover while renting?

No – this type of cover is suited to landlords who may want extra cover and protection against the loss of the essential home services such as the plumbing, drainage and heating.

Can I get quotes to use my own tradesperson?

Yes, as long as it has been agreed with us beforehand

What does 'discovery' mean?

When we we say any emergency needs to be reported within 48 hours of discovery, this means you must contact us within 48 hours of finding an issue. Otherwise, you may not be covered.

show more

Looking for other policy upgrades?

Admiral offers great value, flexible policy upgrades across all our Home Insurance products.