Cruise Travel Insurance
Add our Cruise Upgrade to your Admiral multi-trip or single trip travel insurance to get the right cover during your cruise holiday.
Relax and enjoy complete protection
A cruise is a great choice for those who want to sit back and watch the world go by; total relaxation, no hassle and everything in one place.
While there's no arguing a holiday on the open water is a great experience, it can pose a slightly trickier problem if something goes wrong.
Our Cruise upgrade is included with Admiral Platinum holiday insurance as standard, but you must add the extra cover to the Admiral-level and Gold tiers.
By adding the Cruise Upgrade, your travel insurance will be validated while you're on board the cruise ship. You will not be covered for any part of your holiday without the add-on.
If you're unlucky and fall ill while you're at sea and need to be taken to the mainland, it could prove a costly move without the right insurance. With Admiral Cruise Insurance you're covered for everything from missed departures to cruise itinerary changes whether you're seeing the Med or enjoying a round-the-world specialist cruise.
And if you fancy plunging into the water for a spot of snorkelling, you can take part knowing you're covered with our cruise cover.
What's included in Admiral's Cruise Travel Insurance Upgrade?
While your Admiral Travel Insurance covers you for all the holiday essentials such as luggage and medical expenses, our essential cruise add on covers you for the following:
Missed port departure
If you miss the departure point of your cruise, as a result of any of the following reasons, and incur accommodation or travel expenses getting to the next dock, Admiral will cover them up to the limit shown on your policy:
- Delays or failures to scheduled public transport (excluding taxis)
- An accident or breakdown of the vehicle you're travelling in
- An accident or breakdown ahead on the motorway or dual carriageway you're travelling on, causing a delay
- Strike, industrial action or adverse weather
Cruise cabin confinement
For every 24 hours you are confined to your cabin, by the ship's medical officer, for medical reasons (including declared pre-existing medical conditions) we will pay up to the limit shown on your policy. You must provide written confirmation by the on-board medical officer.
Don't worry if you miss a pre-booked excursion due to cabin confinement through illness or an accident; we'll pay up to the policy limit for any sickness or accidents covered under the emergency media and repatriation section of your travel insurance.
If you fall ill during your cruise and seek medical treatment on dry land, missing part of the cruise, we'll pay any travel expenses you incur to rejoin the ship (up to the policy limit specified). You must get a medical certificate to confirm.
With all of the above examples exclusions do apply - please see your policy guide for more information.
What happens if my cruise holiday is cancelled?
If your cruise is cancelled for any of the following reasons, you'll receive up to £5,000, depending on the level of cover you choose, to cover the costs of your trip:
- Death, illness, injury or complications of pregnancy or childbirthof you, your travel companion, close relative, close business associate or anyone outside your home area you planned to stay with
- Court cases and quarantineif you or your travelling partner, or anyone outside your home area you planned to stay with, is quarantined, called for jury service or as a witness and the court refuses to reschedule
- Redundancycover for you and your travelling partner if either is made redundant from the company you've been employed at continuously for at least 24 months
- Armed forces and emergency servicesif you or your travelling partner is a member of the British Armed Forces or the emergency services and has authorised leave cancelled due to an unexpected emergency
- Home damageyou or your companion can't travel if your home is burgled or seriously damaged by a fire, storm or flood within seven days of your departure
- Passport or visayour passport or visa is stolen in a burglary at your home in the seven days before your departure and you're unable to get a replacement in time
How do I get a quote?
Your questions answered
We're sure you'll love our great products but maybe you have a few questions. You can find answers in this section.
Am I insured if I take part in excursions and water sports during my cruise?
Your Admiral Travel Insurance policy covers you for a wide range of sports and activities including jet skiing, parasailing, windsurfing and snorkelling. For the full list of activities we cover see page 25 of your travel insurance guide.
Can I get cruise cover for any part of the world?
Our travel insurance and upgrades cover pretty much everywhere in the world except for countries the Foreign & Commonwealth Office advises against 'all travel' or 'all but essential travel'. You can see the full list on the Foreign & Commonwealth Office website
Are there any age restrictions for getting the cruise cover upgrade?
No, you can get this add-on at any age.
I'm an expat, can I get the cruise cover upgrade?
No, in order to buy Admiral Travel Insurance and its upgrades you must be a permanent resident of the UK, travelling from and returning to the UK.
Will I be covered on my cruise even if I don't get the policy upgrade?
Our cruise upgrade comes as standard on our Platinum policies but needs be added to Admiral or Admiral Gold policies if you want cover for cruise specific things like missed departures, unused excursions and cruise cabin confinement as these things are not covered by standard travel insurance. We will not cover any claims against your cruise holiday without this cover in place.