Adventurous Sports Insurance

Throwing yourself onto a bike or into the sea? Be sure you're covered.

Coronavirus and your cover
What's covered?
Pre-existing medical conditions and

Do I need Adventurous Sports Insurance?

There's a degree of risk to most sports, but particularly the adventurous ones.

Having the right cover in place before you go on holiday means you can try exciting and adventurous sports without worrying about what might happen if something goes wrong.

Admiral Travel Insurance covers a wide range of sports, but let’s take a look at which ones you’re covered for as standard and which you’ll need to pay a bit extra for.

Covid-19 - what our travel insurance covers

Our travel insurance now covers you for certain events related to Coronavirus (COVID-19), provided you have proof of a positive Covid-19 test and your cover is active at the time of the event.

What we cover

  • Emergency medical and repatriation costs if you become ill with COVID-19 while abroad and must self-isolate
  • Trip cancellation if you are diagnosed with COVID-19 within 14 days of your trip departure
  • Cutting short your trip because you're denied boarding on your pre-booked outbound travel due to symptoms of COVID-19
  • Trip cancellation because of the hospitalisation or death of a close relative due to Covid-19 within the 14 days prior to your trip departure
  • You can't continue with a pre-booked because you contracted Covid-19 while on your trip
  • Cutting short your trip due to your death or the death of a close relative from Covid-19

What we don’t cover

  • If you had reason to believe your trip may be cancelled, postponed or cut short when you booked it, purchased your policy or started your trip.
  • Cancelling, cutting short your trip or being unable to continue with a trip or pre-booked excursion because you're required to self-isolate due to the potential exposure to Covid-19 except for reasons specified
  • If you travel against Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) advice. You will need to check the travel advice for all countries you visit or will transit through
  • Cancelling or cutting short your trip due to the FCDO changing its advice regarding your destination or countries you will transit through due to COVID-19
  • Costs incurred as a result of a local outbreak of COVID-19 that meant you couldn't stay in your pre-booked accommodation or vessel
  • Due to travel restrictions or quarantine imposed by any government or public authority, including local lockdowns, being denied entry and compulsory entry requirements

For more information about how Coronavirus (COVID-19) affects your travel cover, see our FAQ page. And remember to check the policy booklet carefully before you buy to make sure our cover meets your needs.

What's covered under standard travel insurance?

Many of the sports you might want to do on holiday are covered by our standard holiday insurance.

These activities don’t require an extra payment on top of your standard travel insurance – and you’ll be covered for personal accident and personal liability too:

  • Banana boating

  • Body/boogie boarding

  • Canoeing (up to grade two rivers)

  • Fishing Kayaking (up to grade two rivers)

  • Parasailing (over water)

  • River tubing

  • Rowing

  • Sailboarding

  • Scuba diving*

  • Sea kayaking

  • Snorkelling

  • Surfing

  • Swimming

  • Wake boarding

  • Water polo

  • Windsurfing

  • Yachting (inside territorial waters)

  • Water skiing

  • White/black water rafting (up to grade four rivers)

* If you’re a qualified scuba diver, you'll be covered as long as you’re not diving deeper than 30m. For unqualified scuba divers, the limit is 18m. (See policy wording for more conditions around scuba diving cover).

  • Baseball

  • Basketball

  • Bowls

  • Cricket

  • Football

  • Golf

  • Netball

  • Raquet ball

  • Rounders

  • Softball

  • Squash

  • Table tennis

  • Tennis Volleyball

  • Archery

  • Badminton

  • Beach games

  • Curling

  • Cycling (excludes racing and extreme terrain)

  • Fell walking

  • Gymnastics

  • Hiking (up to 4000m altitude)

  • Hot air ballooning

  • Ice skating

  • Orienteering

  • Paintballing

  • Pony trekking

  • Rambling

  • Safari (guided)

  • Rollerblading/inline skating

  • Sand boarding

  • Skateboarding

  • Trekking (up to 4000m altitude)

  • Zip lining

  • Zorbing

  • Cycling (excluding racing, BMX and mountain biking)

  • Paddle boarding

  • Yoga

  • Jogging/Running (excluding marathons)

  • Pony trekking (any equine 58 inches or less at the wither)

Extreme sports travel insurance: how to get covered for hazardous activities

If you couldn’t see your chosen activity on the list above, don't panic. Adrenaline junkies out there can still try that once-in-a-lifetime bucket list activity – you’ll just need to pay a little extra to be covered.

When buying travel insurance through Admiral, you’ll get the option to add extra cover for a specific hazardous activity. Just select the sport or activity you’ll be taking part in and pay the extra cost to get cover.

Bear in mind all hazardous sports and activities on our list exclude cover for personal accident and personal liability:

  • Assault course

  • Bungee jumping (maximum three jumps)

  • Canoeing (rivers over grade 2)

  • Canyon swinging

  • Canyoning

  • Cascading

  • Coasteering

  • Gorge walking

  • Horse riding

  • Kayaking (rivers over grade two)

  • Kite surfing (over land)

  • Rugby

  • Sand yachting

  • Scuba diving to depths between 30m and 50m (requires qualification)

  • Gorge walking

  • Sea canoeing

  • Shark diving

  • White/black water rafting (rivers over grade four)

  • Yachting (outside territorial waters)

  • Trekking (up to 4500m altitude)

  • Hiking (up to 4500m altitude)

  • Motorcycling over 125cc (Europe only)

  • Sky diving (max 3 jumps)

  • Paragliding

  • Horse riding (any equine 59 inches or more at the wither)


If you'd like to be insured for a sport that’s not listed, contact our team to find out if we can arrange cover for you.

What level of cover do I need?

Now you know what activities are covered as standard and which require an extra payment, you need to choose the right cover for your trip. We break travel down into three zones:

  1. Europe
  2. Worldwide excluding USA, Canada, Caribbean and Mexico
  3. Worldwide





£100 £75 £50

Emergency medical treatment repatriation (Limits up to)

£10M £15M £20M

Cancellation or cutting short your trip (Limits up to)

£1.5K £3K £5K

Personal belongings (Limits up to)

£1K £2K £2.5K

Money & documents (Limits up to)

£300 £400 £500


See the full list of benefits  in the policy summary booklet.

Winter sports insurance: make sure you're covered

If you're taking to the slopes to go skiing or snowboarding, you'll need to add our winter sports insurance to your standard cover.

As well as covering you in case of accidents or injury on the slopes, winter sports insurance means you'll get compensation if your equipment is lost, stolen or damaged. It also covers you if your trip is affected by severe weather, like avalanches.

Without the upgrade, your trip won't be covered at all but adding it means you'll get all the standard protection included in our single trip and annual policies as well as cover for the sport you'll be taking part in.

Limitations and exclusions

As is always the case with insurance, there are certain limitations and exceptions that could invalidate your cover.


For Admiral's winter sports insurance, we don’t cover travellers over 75 years old for trips within Europe and over 70 years old for trips outside of Europe.

Reckless behaviour

You won't be covered if you're injured as a result of your own reckless behaviour. This includes:

  • Deliberately injuring yourself
  • Being under the influence of drugs, solvents or excessive amounts of alcohol
  • Not following the safety precautions while taking part in an activity

For a full list of exceptions, see the General Exclusions section in our policy documents.

What if I have a pre-existing medical condition?

A pre-existing medical condition is a short or long term illness or injury you have or have had before you buy travel insurance. This includes having symptoms, tests, diagnosis or medical treatment for a condition.

You can declare your pre-existing medical conditions during the quote process to see if we can offer cover. If you’re unsure what needs to be declared or if you're unable to find your condition on the medical conditions list, please contact us on 0333 234 9913.

Your pre-existing medical conditions won’t be covered unless you’ve:

  • Declared them all on your policy
  • Received written confirmation that we’ll cover your medical condition
  • Paid any additional premium in full

Policy terms and conditions apply. Please note, if you’ve had a positive diagnosis of Covid-19 and been prescribed medication, received treatment, or had a consultation with a doctor or hospital specialist for any medical condition in the past two years, this needs to be declared on your policy.

If you don’t tell us about your pre-existing medical conditions or give us incorrect information, your policy may be invalid, and we may refuse all or part of any claim you submit.

For a quote with us, click the green button above.

The MoneyHelper directory

If you require cover for more serious medical conditions, MoneyHelper may be able to help you find specialist travel insurance through their medical directory.

If you wish to get in touch with them you can call them on 0800 138 7777 or find them online. (Monday to Friday 8:00-18:00, closed on Saturday, Sunday and bank holidays.)

Getting the most out of your trip

Going anywhere nice?

Off to one of the destinations below? Take a look at our guides for some hints and tips on what you need to remember.

Travel insurance that suits you

Whether you're travelling solo, with your family, or with a little one on the way, read our guides to make sure our cover is right for you.

Travel Insurance upgrades

Whether you want the adrenaline rush of a skiing holiday, or fancy taking to the seas on a cruise, you'll need to add extra cover to your policy.