Travel Insurance UK

Cover for your staycation

Whether you’re camping, glamping or hiking the hills, make sure your holiday at home is covered.

What’s covered?       
Coronavirus and your cover
Pre-existing conditions

Covid-19 - what our travel insurance covers

Our travel insurance now covers you for certain events related to Coronavirus (COVID-19), provided you have proof of a positive Covid-19 test and your cover is active at the time of the event.

What we cover

We provide cover for some costs related to Covid-19: please see Section 1 'emergency medical costs and repatriation' and Section 2 'cancelling or cutting short your trip' in your policy book for full details on what's covered.

We'll cover you if:

  • you were diagnosed with Covid-19 before your trip was due to start
  • a close relative died or became seriously ill as a result of Covid-19 before your trip was due to start
  • you weren't allowed to board your pre-booked outbound travel due to symptoms of Covid-19
  • an insured person or a close relative died during the trip because of Covid-19
  • you couldn't take part in an excursion due to you self-isolating after getting Covid-19

What we don’t cover

You won't be covered if:

  • you had reason to believe your trip may be cancelled, postponed or cut short when you booked it, purchased your policy or started your trip
  • any government or public authority imposes travel restrictions or quarantine on a community, location, or vessel because of Covid-19 (this includes, but is not limited to, local lockdowns, entry requirements, being denied entry and airspace closures)
  • you have to quarantine after arriving in the UK or abroad
  • the Foreign Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) change their advice to avoid ‘all travel’ or ‘all but essential travel’ to your destination because of Covid-19

For more information about how Coronavirus (COVID-19) affects your travel cover, see our FAQ page. And remember to check the policy booklet carefully before you buy to make sure our cover meets your needs.

UK Travel Insurance

A staycation is the perfect way to explore your immediate surroundings or even venture a little further afield in the UK. Whether it's pitching up on one of Britain's most scenic coastlines, driving or cycling the length of the country from Land’s End to John O’Groats, holidaymakers looking to stay closer to home are really spoiled for choice.

Do you need insurance for a staycation?

While you don’t need cover for medical expenses while holidaying in most parts of the UK thanks to the NHS, since April 2009 there’s been no NHS medical cover for UK travellers in the Channel Islands, so it's important to take out travel insurance for your holiday to Guernsey, Jersey, Alderney, Sark or Herm.

And travel insurance offers further cover for things such as inpatient travel expenses to and from the hospital, or if you need to return to your home area on the advice of a doctor.

Besides medical care, your UK travel insurance will also protect you against things like:

  • Lost luggage or money
  • Theft of sports equipment
  • Cancellations

You must be travelling more than 25 miles away from your home address and staying for two or more consecutive nights for travel insurance to kick in.

Should I get travel insurance for domestic flights?

Despite the familiar surroundings, you can still encounter problems when you holiday in the UK. Cancellations or lost/stolen property could affect your trip, so it’s useful to know you're covered for every eventuality.

Admiral Travel Insurance gives protection against airlines losing your luggage and having to cut your trip short - this can happen just as easily in the UK, as well as abroad.

Choose from three levels of cover





£100 £75 £50

Emergency medical treatment & repatriation (Limits up to)

10M 15M 20M

Cancellation or cutting short your trip (Limits up to)

£1.5K £3K £5K

Personal belongings (Limits up to)

£1K £2K £2.5K

Money & documents (Limits up to)

£300 £400 £500

Read the full list of benefits in the policy summary booklet.

Admiral Travel Insurance breaks down travel into four zones:

  • UK
  • Europe
  • Worldwide excluding USA, Canada, Caribbean and Mexico
  • Worldwide

The UK zone covers England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, or the Isle of Man depending on where your home is, and three tiers of cover with increasing coverage and product benefits are available. You can choose between Admiral, Admiral Gold or Admiral Platinum to suit your needs best.

Do I need single or annual UK Travel Insurance?

Whether you’re planning just one summer holiday in a year or multiple trips, we have the cover you need.

Our single trip insurance is best for those who are not frequent holidaymakers, and covers you for one trip for up to 365 days.

If you plan on travelling more than once throughout a year, annual UK travel insurance is for you.

You’ll be covered no matter how many times you choose to travel (up to 31 days at a time, but this may be extended upon request).

UK travel insurance extras

If sight-seeing isn’t your thing and you want to include sports in your staycation, we have a few optional extras for you to think about adding to your insurance.


If you’re planning on making the most of the UK’s winter weather and hitting the slopes to ski or snowboard, you’ll need to add our Winter Sports upgrade to your cover. This protects against damage to your own, or hired, equipment and piste closures.

Why do I need travel insurance – won’t my home insurance cover me in the UK?

Contents insurance will usually include cover away from home, but it’s important to check which possessions you have cover for. Some things may need to be named as a ‘specified item’ on your policy so they’re covered while you’re travelling, for example a piece of jewellery or a camera worth over £1,000.

Admiral Contents Insurance offers up to £20,000 of cover for yours and your family’s personal possessions (worth up to £1,000 each) such as handbags, jewellery and laptops against any loss or damage.

What if I have a pre-existing condition?

A pre-existing condition is a short or long term illness or injury you have or have had before you buy travel insurance. This includes having symptoms, tests, diagnosis or medical treatment for a condition.

You can declare your pre-existing conditions during the quote process to see if we can offer cover. If you’re unsure what needs to be declared or if you're unable to find your condition on the medical conditions list, please contact us on 0333 234 9913.

Your pre-existing conditions won’t be covered unless you’ve:

  • Declared them all on your policy
  • Received written confirmation that we’ll cover your medical condition
  • Paid any additional premium in full

Policy terms and conditions apply. Please note, if you’ve had a positive diagnosis of Covid-19 in the last two years and sought medical attention, this needs to be declared on your policy.

If you don’t tell us about your pre-existing conditions or give us incorrect information, your policy may be invalid, and we may refuse all or part of any claim you submit.

For a quote with us, click the green button above.

The MoneyHelper directory

If you require cover for more serious medical conditions, MoneyHelper may be able to help you find specialist travel insurance through their medical directory.

If you wish to get in touch with them you can call them on 0800 138 7777 or find them online. (Monday to Friday 8:00-18:00, closed on Saturday, Sunday and bank holidays.)

Getting the most out of your trip

Going anywhere nice?

Off to one of the destinations below? Take a look at our guides for some hints and tips on what you need to remember.

Travel insurance that suits you

Whether you're travelling solo, with your family, or with a little one on the way, read our guides to make sure our cover is right for you.

Travel Insurance upgrades

Whether you want the adrenaline rush of a skiing holiday, or fancy taking to the seas on a cruise, you'll need to add extra cover to your policy.