SERVICE UPDATE [08/04/2020]

Thank you for your support and patience while we take measures to protect our staff, due to Coronavirus.

We are open for business and here for you. Our call waiting times are currently much longer than usual (approximately 30 mins) so you may prefer to call us only if urgent. We are continuing to prioritise calls for existing customers and new claims, for example, if you’ve been involved in an incident and your car’s undriveable, or your home’s uninhabitable.

For your other options, please see our homepage.


Student Travel Insurance

Backpacking through the Balkans? Interrailing around the Swiss Alps?

Don’t forget Admiral Travel Insurance when you plan your trip of a lifetime.

What’s covered?

Travel insurance might be the last thing on your mind when organising your epic trip. But when you’re carrying all your belongings in a backpack and intend to be away for a while, having the right cover in place should be a vital part of your plans.

What kind of student travel insurance will I need?

The policy you need depends on how long you'll be travelling for. If you're lucky enough to be taking a few months – or even a year – to travel, then you'll need a policy that covers you for the full duration.

Unlike many single trip policies that cover you for up to 31 days away, our single trip policy covers you for 365 days, as long as you don't come back to the UK at all during that period.

If you're breaking up your travels over the course of a year, or studying abroad as part of your university course and planning to return to the UK after each term, then an annual policy – which allows multiple trips abroad – could be right for you.

Admiral Student Travel Insurance comes with three tiers to choose from – Admiral, Admiral Gold and Admiral Platinum – with increasing coverage and product benefits.





£100 £75 £50

Emergency medical treatment repatriation (Limits up to)

£10M £15M £20M

Cancellation or cutting short your trip (Limits up to)

£1K £2.5K £5K

Personal belongings (Limits up to)

£1K £1.5K £2.5K

Money & documents (Limits up to)

£300 £400 £500

Read the full list of benefits in the policy summary booklet.

Which countries does student travel insurance cover?

Your student travel insurance needs to cover you in all the countries you're visiting, as well as every stop you make on the way (even if you're only passing through the country on an interrailing trip).

If you're heading to Europe, a European travel policy should meet your needs. We also include the following countries in our European travel insurance:

  • Egypt
  • Morocco
  • Tunisia
  • Turkey

If your student travels are taking you further afield – to America, Australia or the Caribbean for instance – you'll need to look at a worldwide insurance policy instead.

We offer two options:

  • Worldwide
  • Worldwide excluding USA, Canada and the Caribbean

What's the difference between standard and student travel insurance?

Most travel insurance policies will cover you for things like:

  • Accidents
  • Illness
  • Loss or theft of personal belongings
  • Flight cancellations/delays

But if your student trip is going to last longer than the average holiday and you'll be trying out some extreme sports along the way, then you may need to look at some additional or specialist cover. Check the policy booklet or contact us to find out if the activity you want to do is covered.

Volunteering or working abroad

Whether providing childcare in a developing country's orphanages, helping on sustainability projects in a rainforest in Peru or feeding pandas at a conservation project in China, volunteering for a great cause abroad is a fantastic thing to do when you're a student.

It's a feel-good and do-good experience you'll treasure forever.

Maybe you're planning on working your way through your travels, taking on temporary jobs to help cover the cost of your adventures.

Our travel policies will cover you as long as you're not doing manual work but call our team to double check if you're unsure.

Student ski travel insurance for skiing and adventure holidays

We know relaxing on a beach isn't everyone's idea of fun. If you're planning to try new experiences and activities on your travels, make sure you check your travel insurance policy booklet first.

While our standard travel insurance covers you for active pursuits such as sail-boarding and surfing, anything riskier like diving with sharks or canyon swinging (yes, it's a thing!) will require a ‘hazardous activity' upgrade to your policy.

And if you're hitting the slopes, you'll need our winter sports insuranceupgrade to cover your ski equipment and activities from skiing to snowmobiling.

Accidents and illness can happen, of course, so don't forget your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). This is no substitute for travel insurance, though.

The card entitles you to emergency care but treatment may not be free, and the card won't cover extra costs such as those of getting you back to the UK in a medical emergency.

What about gadget travel insurance?

We know you won't want to be parted from your tech on your travels – how else will you Skype your family or Instagram your latest location?

But accidents happen, and expensive gadgets can get lost or stolen, so check your policy covers things such as smartphones, cameras or tablets.

If the value of your tech adds up to more than the personal belongings cover in your travel insurance, you can add on gadget cover.

Admiral's gadget travel insurance pays up to £1,000 for any three gadgets that are lost, stolen or damaged in one trip. You won't be left twiddling your (tech-less) thumbs for long!