Do you have any questions?

Buying your policy

Show Hide

Is immediate cover available?

Yes. Just click on Get a quote for MultiCar Insurance or Single-Car Insurance and once you've completed the process, cover can start immediately.

How can I pay?

You can pay in full by Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Switch/Maestro, Electron, Solo or Delta. And for most policies, you can also pay monthly by Direct Debit.

You'll need to use the same payment method for all of the cars on your MultiCar policy.

Do I need to be the registered owner of the car to insure it?

Normally either the policyholder or their partner needs to be the registered owner of the car. We can sometimes insure personal lease cars.

What type of cover can I buy?

We offer three levels of car insurance cover:

  • Comprehensive cover offers you the highest level of protection. You are covered for accidental damage, fire, theft or malicious damage to your own car, as well as any damage you cause to other people and their property.
  • Third Party, Fire & Theft cover insures you against fire or theft damage to your own car, or any damage you cause to other people and their property.
  • Third Party Only cover is the lowest level of protection available. You are covered for any damage you cause to other people and their property. Your car is not covered for any type of loss or damage.

What is the difference between a 10-month Bonus Accelerator and an annual policy?

Our Bonus Accelerator policy lasts for 10 months instead of 12, but credits you with a full year's No Claims Bonus after 10 months. This means that you can build up your No Claims Bonus more quickly, so long as you don't make a claim. Our Bonus Accelerator policy could be suitable for people who are taking out insurance for the first time, or who have recently lost their No Claims Bonus.

Why do I have to tell you what I use my car for?

We need to make sure that your car insurance policy covers the activities that you use your car for. There are five 'classifications of use':

  • Social only: Using your car for social, domestic and pleasure purposes. This does not cover use between home and work.
  • Social and Commuting: Using your car for social, domestic and pleasure purposes and use by the policyholder or any other driver covered by the policy for travel between home and permanent place of business. This does not cover any form of business use, including journeys to different places of work.
  • Business class 1: Using your car for social, domestic and pleasure purposes and use by the policyholder or any other driver covered by the policy for travel between home and permanent place of business. Plus use by the policyholder only in connection with his or her business or profession. This does not cover use for selling or commercial travelling, or use by any other driver for business purposes.
  • Business class 2: Social domestic and pleasure purposes and use by the policyholder or any other driver covered by the policy for travel between home and permanent place of business. Plus use by the policyholder and named drivers in connection with their business. This does not cover use for selling or commercial travel.
  • Business class 3: Social, domestic, and pleasure purposes and use by the policyholder or any other driver covered by the policy for travel between home and permanent place of business. Plus use by the policyholder in connection with his or her business or profession and also by other drivers covered by the policy on the business of the policyholder and on the business of the employer of the policyholder, which includes use for selling or commercial travelling.

What is No Claims Bonus?

Every year you drive without making a claim or having a claim upheld against you, earns you an additional year of No Claims Bonus (NCB). For every year of claim free driving, you earn a discount off the cost of your renewal. If you have already earned No Claims Bonus with your previous insurer, we will ask you to send us written proof (usually a renewal notice or Proof of No Claims Bonus letter from your previous insurer). Your No Claims Bonus builds up to a maximum of 15 years.

Will you accept No Claims Bonus proof from abroad?

We can accept proof of No Claims Bonus from any EU country so long as it is in writing and we can confirm the bonus with the insurer if necessary. The proof document must show your No Claims Bonus in years and not as a percentage. We can only accept No Claims Bonus from the EU.

Will you accept company car No Claims Bonus?

In some instances we may accept No Claims Bonus from a company car scheme. We would need to see the following information on company headed notepaper:

  • Your name
  • Dates of insurance with the company
  • Details of any claims or accidents
  • Registration number of car insured with company
  • Confirmation of social, domestic and pleasure use
  • Confirmation you were the sole user of the car i.e. it was not a 'pool' car
  • Confirmation you no longer have use of this car i.e. the No Claims Bonus has been released

When can I protect my No Claims Bonus?

You will be able to protect your No Claims Bonus so long as:

  • You have four or more years No Claims Bonus
  • All drivers on the policy have a full UK or EEC licence

Can you cover an imported car?

We can cover you if your car is registered in the UK. If you are buying your car outside the UK and require cover to return home, insurance will need to be arranged in the country of purchase. This is an EU requirement.

Do you cover cars with modifications?

It depends on the type of modifications. Please contact us here for further details.

What is an excess?

An excess is the amount you must pay in the event of any claim, regardless of who's to blame for the incident. The excess will vary depending on the car that is covered, the age and experience of the drivers on your policy and if you have opted to take protected or guaranteed No Claims Bonus protection. Details of your policy excess can be found on the reverse of your Policy Schedule.

If you are an online customer you can find your policy excess on your Policy Schedule by signing in or registering to your online account.

If you receive your documents in the post then this document would have been sent when taking out, changing or renewing your policy.

What type of licences do you accept?

There are four types of licences we accept:

  • UK full (including automatic licences)
  • UK provisional
  • EEC full
  • Non-EEC full for certain countries

Your Claim

Show Hide

How do I register a new claim?

Please visit our Make a Claim page to find details on how to register your claim.

To help us process your claim as quickly as possible, please make sure you have the following to hand:

  • Your policy number or vehicle registration
  • Details of anybody else involved in the incident
  • Any emergency services and/or witness details

How do I get my vehicle recovered after an accident?

Customers with Comprehensive cover can call our roadside emergency helpline (0800 600 840) 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

If you need to be towed after a breakdown, you'll need to pay the recovery charges if you're not covered by our breakdown service.

If you require details of how to purchase our breakdown service, please contact us.

What if I only need to claim for my windscreen?

If your windscreen or windows have been smashed, damaged or chipped we can organise a repair or replacement.

Windscreen cover is included with our Comprehensive cover and can be bought as an optional extra on Third Party, Fire & Theft, and Third Party Only policies.

Please note:

  • Windscreen claims won't affect your No Claims Bonus
  • Courtesy cars aren't provided for windscreen claims

To make a claim, please click here.

Alternatively, you can call our 24-hour glass helpline on 0333 220 2025.

Who repairs my car after an accident?

If your vehicle can be repaired and the damage is covered by your insurance, your car will be repaired by one of our approved repairers.

Any repairs carried out by our approved repairers are guaranteed while you own the vehicle. Any parts used during the repair will be covered under the manufacturer's guarantee.

If you have Third Party Fire and Theft cover, please still contact us to see if we can help.

To make a claim, click here.

Am I entitled to a courtesy vehicle?

If your vehicle can be repaired and the damage is covered by your policy, our approved repairers will give you a courtesy vehicle once the repairs have started.

If your vehicle isn’t driveable, our approved repairer will provide you with a courtesy vehicle when your vehicle has been declared repairable and the repairs have started.

  • For cars you'll get a small hatchback
  • Van drivers will get a car-derived van

Your courtesy vehicle will also:

  • Last for the duration of repairs
  • Be covered under your insurance policy on the same terms and conditions as your vehicle (Comprehensive cover only)
  • Come with five litres of fuel

If your vehicle has been damaged beyond repair, you will not be given a courtesy vehicle.

My car is a total loss, what happens next?

If your vehicle is damaged beyond repair, our Claims teams will contact you to discuss the next steps of your claim. We'll instruct a salvage agent to collect your car and take it to a salvage yard. Please make sure all your personal belongings are removed.

If your vehicle is a total loss, your policy will be cancelled including the Driving Other Cars extension (if applicable). If you have a MultiCar policy, we'll simply remove the vehicle in question.

After we've reviewed your claim, we'll make a payment to you, minus any excess and outstanding premium, using industry-recognised guides.

If your vehicle is a total loss, you will not be provided with a courtesy vehicle. This is because the courtesy vehicle is provided by the garage, not Admiral.

If you have Hire Vehicle Cover, you may be entitled to a hire vehicle. Please log into MyAccount to see if you are covered for this. You can also make a claim online.

How long will my claim take to settle?

As every claim is different, it's difficult to give an exact time frame. We'll make sure your claims experience is as quick and stress free as possible.

Once the incident is reported, we’ll be able to give you a better idea of how long the process will be.

When will I hear from Admiral about my claim?

After reporting an incident, you don't need to contact us unless we ask you to. We'll keep you updated along the way. If your vehicle's repairable, our approved repairer will contact you to arrange the repairs and a courtesy vehicle.

If your vehicle is beyond repair, we’ll contact you about the valuation of your vehicle.

If you do need to contact us then you can.

What is an Excess?

An excess is the amount you’re required to pay when you make a claim.

If your vehicle is repairable, the excess is paid to the garage when the repairs are completed. If your vehicle is damaged beyond repair, the excess will be deducted from the payment we make to you.

Your excess details are recorded on your Policy Schedule which can be found in MyAccount.

I don't think this incident was my fault. Why do I have to pay my excess?

You're required to pay the excess whenever you make a claim. If the incident wasn't your fault you might be able to reclaim your excess back from the person responsible or their insurance company.

What happens if the accident was my fault?

If you have Comprehensive cover, we'll:

  • Arrange to get your vehicle repaired or start the total loss process
  • Contact anybody else involved and deal with their claim

Please tell anyone else involved in the accident to contact us as we may be able to help with the damage to their vehicle. They can contact our claims team.

To help us process the claim as quickly as possible, please ask them to have your policy number and vehicle registration.

If you receive any correspondence from the other driver or their insurer, please forward it to us and we'll respond on your behalf.

What if the other driver disagrees with the accident circumstances?

We'll do our best to defend your position using all the evidence we have.

If there isn't enough evidence to support your position, we might have to accept some responsibility. If this happens, we'll negotiate the best possible settlement.

Who will reimburse my policy excess?

If the other person accepts responsibility for the incident, then their insurance company will reimburse your excess. If there's a disagreement over who was at fault and we have to accept some responsibility, you may only be able to recover part of your excess.

If I don't make a claim, do I have to pay the excess?

No. You only pay an excess if you make a claim.

What happens to my No Claims Bonus if I make a claim?

If you make a claim, or a claim's made against you, your No Claims Bonus will be reduced at renewal.

How does my No Claims Bonus protection work?

  • If this is your first claim, you will receive one strike against your No Claims Bonus protection.
  • If you make two claims within three consecutive insurance terms, we will remove the protection.
  • If you make three claims within three consecutive insurance terms, you will lose your protection and your No Claims Bonus will be reduced.

If you have Guaranteed No Claims Bonus, you can make unlimited fault claims with no affect to your bonus.

What happens if I've incurred additional losses not covered by my policy?

If the accident was your fault and you've suffered losses that aren't covered by your insurance, you can't claim for them unless they're covered by alternative insurance.

If the accident was somebody else's fault you can claim your losses back directly from their insurer yourself.

If you've bought Motor Legal Protection, our solicitors will contact you to assess what losses can be recovered and help you recover them.

If you don't have Motor Legal Protection, you may still be able to use their services at an additional cost. We can put you in touch with them to discuss further.

Will my insurance cost go up after an incident?

In most cases, making a claim or recording an incident will lead to a price increase at renewal. Your renewal price will be sent to you two to three weeks before your renewal date.

Do I need to contact the police after an incident involving my car?

You need to report the incident to the police in the following circumstances:

  • If the car's stolen
  • If the car's been broken into
  • If the car's been maliciously damaged
  • If the car's been involved in an arson attack
  • If someone's injured as a result of the incident
  • If you feel an illegal act has taken place

If a crime's taken place, you need to get a Crime Reference Number from the police.

What should I do if my car has been stolen?

You should report the theft to the police and get a Crime Reference Number immediately. Then, contact us and we'll start the claims process.

Once our enquiries are finished, we'll settle your claim.

What measures do Admiral take to prevent fraud?

Our main aim is to make sure our customers are back on the road as soon as possible. However, we know insurance fraud is a reality and that a very small number of people give false details to fabricate (or exaggerate) car insurance claims.

We believe it's important to identify these people and avoid paying such claims as they affect the cost of motor insurance for everybody.

We use a number of insurance industry databases to share information with other companies about claims and known fraudsters. We also share some information about car insurance fraud with other financial companies, the police and other bodies where the law allows us to do so.

You can read our full Privacy Statement to understand how we collect, use and protect your personal data.

Your policy

Show Hide

Are my details safe over the internet?

We use industry standard Secure Socket Layer (SSL) 128 bit encryption technology to keep your personal information as secure as possible.

How do I make a windscreen claim?

Windscreen cover is included in Comprehensive policies as standard and is an additional option on other policies. You need to call our approved repairer on to arrange an appointment. You can find their details here. Please take your Certificate of Motor Insurance with you. If the glass is repaired you'll pay an excess of £25, if any glass is replaced, you'll have to pay an excess of £95. If you don't use our approved repairer the maximum we will pay out is £50.

Am I insured to drive abroad?

You're covered to drive in

  • Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man and Channel Islands
  • Any other country in the European Union
  • Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Serbia and Switzerland.

Your vehicle is also covered while being transported by air, sea or rail between these countries.

You're covered as shown on your Certificate of Motor Insurance for a maximum of 90 days per policy term. Make sure you take your Certificate of Motor Insurance when you travel.

If there's a no-deal Brexit, you'll need a Green Card as well as your Certificate of Motor Insurance to drive your vehicle in the countries listed above. The Green Card is proof that you have the minimum level of insurance needed in the country you're driving in. You must take the original Green Card as photocopies aren't accepted.

If you're concerned you may be abroad in one of the countries listed above in the coming months when there's a chance we could leave the EU, you can request a Green Card using our online form.

Am I insured to drive someone else's car?

You must be aged 25 or over to qualify for the driving other cars policy extension, however this criteria alone does not mean you have this cover. In some cases you may be covered under your policy to drive someone else's car. The cover is Third Party Only and doesn't apply to any cars you own or lease yourself.

Please check section 5 of your current Certificate of Motor Insurance to see if you have this cover.

If you are an online customer you can view this document by signing in or registering to your account.

If you receive your documents in the post then this document would have been sent when taking out, changing or renewing your policy.

Is my car covered for someone else to drive?

Only if they are named on your Certificate of Motor Insurance. You can easily add another driver to your policy permanently or temporarily. Just complete this email form.

Will you cover a car I'm using temporarily?

We may be able to insure a car for you temporarily. Just complete this email form.

If you want us to cover a courtesy car from a garage, we will only be able to do this if the garage won't provide you with cover.

Please note, there will be a charge for putting a temporary car on your policy.

Will I be able to drive all the cars on the policy?

You must be named as a driver under section 5 of the car's Certificate of Motor Insurance, to be able to drive it.

If you are an online customer you can view this document by signing in or registering to your account.

If you receive your documents in the post then this document would have been sent when taking out, changing or renewing your policy.

What does policy validation mean?

Whenever you buy an insurance policy, we take steps to ensure we know the cover we are providing is right for you so we can support you when you need us, for example, if you have to make a claim and to combat any fraudulent activity. To do this, we may contact you to validate some of your details at any time after you have bought your insurance, and we hope that you'll be able to help us resolve any enquiries quickly.

Please remember it is your responsibility to check you have answered every question we ask honestly and accurately before buying your policy.

Why do we validate our Insurance policies?

By validating insurance policies, we know we are providing you the fairest price for your insurance, and that information we hold is correct. This also helps us in our continued effort to combat fraud and ensure that your policy is unaffected.

We recognize that mistakes happen, so by validating policies we ensure a genuine oversight doesn't become a problem if you need to make a claim.

How we will validate your policy details?

As an insurer we may check your details against databases available to the insurance industry, online quotations and any past or present policies within the Admiral group. We may also ask you to provide documentation to validate the information we hold.

What action will we take?

Our validations teams are here to help and make sure your policy is correct. In cases where we have to make a correction to your policy as a result of the validation process there may be an additional premium to pay as well as our administration fee. In certain cases we may be unable to continue the policy or had we known the correct information, would not have accepted the policy. In these cases the policy may be cancelled or in more serious cases declared void and of no effect since its inception.

Are there any costs involved?

If your policy is voided or cancelled please be aware charges may apply, If a change is made following a validation because of different information, we will charge an administration fee and any additional premium that may be applicable. You can find these charges on our website under existing customers, Legal information, and your agreement with EUI limited.

Why do you need my driving license details?

Why are we requesting this information?

Since 8 June 2015, the paper counterpart to the photocard driving licence isn't valid and is no longer issued by DVLA. In order to replace the paper counterpart the DVLA has created My Licence and Share my Licence, where you can view and share your driving information. We require this information in order to validate the information we hold for you.

What do we need to see?

My Licence and Share my Licence -

If we have requested this information from you please make sure you have included the following pages: Your details, Vehicles you can drive and Penalties and disqualifications.

Alternatively, you can click the Share your licence information tab and select Create a code. This code is valid for 21 days.


Show Hide

How do I pay for my policy at renewal?

You can pay for your renewal by debit/credit card or direct debit.

To make renewing as easy as possible we will automatically renew your policy based on the information you have supplied, unless you have opted out of this feature. If all your details are correct, then you don't have to do anything.

If you paid for your last year's policy using your own debit/credit card, we will automatically renew your policy and debit the premium from your card on your renewal date, unless you tell us otherwise.

If you paid for your policy using someone else's card, please ensure the cardholder is happy for us to debit your renewal from their card again this year.

Will my premium change at renewal?

We'll do our best to keep your renewal premium as low as possible. If you have four years or less No Claims Bonus and have not made a claim during your time with us, you'll get a further year's No Claims Bonus. This will reduce your premium, but rate increases during the year may mean your premium is still higher than last year.

I've had a claim. How will it affect my renewal premium?

If we already know about the claim before we post your renewal pack, your No Claims Bonus entitlement will have already been amended and your renewal premium revised to take the claim into account.

If you make a claim and we've already posted your renewal pack, we will have to amend your No Claims Bonus entitlement and revise your premium. We will let you know what your new premium is as soon as you notify us about the claim.

Will my No Claims Bonus be affected if I've made a claim this year?

We will reduce your No Claims Bonus for every claim you make where we don't recover all of our costs.

For each incident settled against you, you will lose 2 years NCB. So, if you started the policy with 5 or more years NCB without bonus protection and had an accident that was your fault, your NCB would be reduced to 3 years at the start of the next policy term.

What if my No Claims Bonus is protected or guaranteed?

You can make up to two fault claims in three years before we will remove the protection.

If you make three fault claims in three years, we will remove the protection and reduce your No Claims Bonus by two years.

Can I protect my No Claims Bonus at renewal?

You will be able to protect your No Claims Bonus so long as:

  • You have four or more years No Claims Bonus
  • All drivers on the policy have a full UK or EEC licence

How do I make a change to my policy from renewal?

What should I do if I've had a motoring conviction during the past year?

If you have had any of the following:

  • A motoring conviction
  • Penalty points
  • A disqualification
  • A ban
  • A driver awareness course

Please contact us here.

What should I do if I've modified my car?

What should I do if I don't want to renew my policy?

We hope that won't be the case, but if you don't want to renew your policy, please contact us here

When will I get my No Claims Bonus proof?

Your No Claims Bonus proof can be found in your renewal pack, you'll find it on the page titled 'Motor Renewal Confirmation (Proof of No Claims Bonus)'.

If you are an online customer you can view this document by signing in or registering to your account.

If you receive your documents in the post then this document would have been sent when taking out, changing or renewing your policy.


Show Hide

Is there any eligibility criteria for having a LittleBox?

Yes, they are as follows:

  • Your annual premium needs to be over £650
  • You'll need to drive at least 1,900 miles annually
  • Your car needs to be worth at least £750
  • Your car needs to be manufactured after 2001

Can I drive my car before LittleBox is installed?

Yes, you can drive as soon as your cover starts. The LittleBox will be installed within 30 days of policy purchase.

What information does LittleBox collect?

The LittleBox collects information about when the car is used, how far it travels and its location, as well as information on your driving behaviour including speed, acceleration and braking.

How is this information used?

This information is used to analyse your driving behaviour, determine how safe a driver you are, and to verify your policy information such as address and mileage.

Does LittleBox know where I am?

Yes, LittleBox does send location information, but this is not fed through to us in real-time.

Where is LittleBox located?

It is fitted discreetly under the dashboard.

Will LittleBox damage my car?

No, LittleBox is professionally installed and shouldn't affect the vehicle's warranty.

How much does it cost to have LittleBox installed?

There is no additional charge for the first installation.

Do you share the information with any third parties?

We only share the information with those companies required to provide the services under the policy, such as the telematics LittleBox service provider. Information isn't sold to or shared with anyone else.

Is there a restriction on how many miles I can drive?

During your quote just let us know how many miles you will cover over the year, and your premium will automatically include these. If during the year you need to travel further you will need to inform us, so we can increase your mileage to ensure you remain covered. Minimum mileage restriction applies (1,900 miles).

How does LittleBox get installed, do I have to go somewhere?

Our installation team will contact you by phone and text, you just book an appointment with them at that point - an engineer will then come to install LittleBox at a time and place that is convenient for you. Installation takes around 40 minutes.

Who do I contact if I need to re arrange the installation date?

You will be provided with a number for our installation team and you will be able to re-arrange.

Will I have a curfew with the policy?

No, you can drive at any time of the day or night with no curfew - however frequently driving at risky times, such as after 10pm, may reduce your driving score.

What happens if I change my car?

The LittleBox in your old car will be remotely de-activated and we will arrange installation of a new LittleBox in your new car (charges apply).

Can I remove LittleBox?

No, once you take out a LittleBox policy and LittleBox has been installed, it stays in the car for the duration of the policy.

Will I have to pay anything if I do not renew my policy at the end of the first year?

No. If you do not renew your policy there will be no additional charges. You will only have to pay the cancellation fee if the policy is cancelled before renewal.

How do you know who was driving?

We do not ask you to tell us who is driving the insured vehicle at any particular time. Your driving score will be calculated on overall use of the car, so you will need to make all named drivers aware that they can influence your driving score.

What is my 'Driving Dashboard'?

Your dashboard is your personal driving webpage, this is where you can access feedback on your driving and check your driving performance to date.

When I try to log in to the driving dashboard, it's advising me to check back next week. What's happening?

We are currently collecting and processing the information - the system needs to compile driving information before it can calculate your score - check back in a few days!

What happens if I forget my password to my personal dashboard?

Just click on the 'reset password' link and follow the instructions.

Why is my score from last week showing as this week's score on my Driving Dashboard?

The trip information from this week hasn't updated yet so check back in a few days.

Why is my driver score showing as 'null' on my Driving Dashboard?

If the car is not being used then a score of 'null' will show.

When will my driving statistics appear on my Driving Dashboard?

Your statistics will show up after 1-2 months, this is so that we can collect enough information to build your driving score.

Policy Books and Personal Documents

Show Hide

What's the difference between Policy books and Personal Documents?

Policy books tell you everything about a particular type of insurance and what it does and doesn't cover. Anyone can read the policy book.

Your personal documents are specific to you and the cover you bought. Examples include your certificate of insurance and policy schedule.