Travel Insurance Canada

Enjoy all Canada has to offer

Whether you're hiking in the Rocky Mountains or exploring Montreal, we've got you covered.

Coronavirus and your cover
What's covered?
Pre-existing conditions

What comes to mind when you think of Canada? Glaciers and mountains? Grizzly bears and moose?

The great outdoors isn’t all Canada has to offer. If you’re as much a fan of vibrant cities and delicious food as you are of getting back to nature, Canada could be the perfect destination for you.

Covid-19 - what our travel insurance covers

Our travel insurance now covers you for certain events related to Coronavirus (COVID-19), provided you have proof of a positive Covid-19 test and your cover is active at the time of the event.

What we cover

We provide cover for some costs related to Covid-19: please see Section 1 'emergency medical costs and repatriation' and Section 2 'cancelling or cutting short your trip' in your policy book for full details on what's covered.

We'll cover you if:

  • you were diagnosed with Covid-19 before your trip was due to start
  • a close relative died or became seriously ill as a result of Covid-19 before your trip was due to start
  • you weren't allowed to board your pre-booked outbound travel due to symptoms of Covid-19
  • an insured person or a close relative died during the trip because of Covid-19
  • you couldn't take part in an excursion due to you self-isolating after getting Covid-19

What we don’t cover

You won't be covered if:

  • you had reason to believe your trip may be cancelled, postponed or cut short when you booked it, purchased your policy or started your trip
  • any government or public authority imposes travel restrictions or quarantine on a community, location, or vessel because of Covid-19 (this includes, but is not limited to, local lockdowns, entry requirements, being denied entry and airspace closures)
  • you have to quarantine after arriving in the UK or abroad
  • the Foreign Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) change their advice to avoid ‘all travel’ or ‘all but essential travel’ to your destination because of Covid-19

For more information about how Coronavirus (COVID-19) affects your travel cover, see our FAQ page. And remember to check the policy booklet carefully before you buy to make sure our cover meets your needs.

Travel Insurance Canada

If you’re taking a trip to Canada, it’s a good idea to go prepared with travel insurance. It isn’t compulsory, but it protects you if the worst were to happen such as:

  • Having to cancel or cut short your trip
  • Theft of personal belongings
  • The airline losing your luggage

Medical treatment in Canada can be very expensive. As there are no special arrangements for travellers from the UK, Canada travel insurance is vital to make sure you’re not hit by high treatment costs.

Our basic level of travel insurance gives you up to £10 million of cover for emergency medical treatment and repatriation, and this rises to up to £20 million with our Platinum level.

Choose from three levels of cover





£100 £75 £50

Emergency medical treatment & repatriation (Limits up to)

10M 15M 20M

Cancellation or cutting short your trip (Limits up to)

£1.5K £3K £5K

Personal belongings (Limits up to)

£1K £2K £2.5K

Money & documents (Limits up to)

£300 £400 £500

Read the full list of benefits in the policy summary booklet.

Holiday insurance Canada: what cover do I need?

Travel cover is divided up into different geographical areas. We use three zones:

  • Europe
  • Worldwide excluding USA, Canada, Caribbean and Mexico
  • Worldwide

For trips to Canada, you’ll need the third option – worldwide travel insurance. Make sure you don’t choose the second option, worldwide excluding USA, Canada, Caribbean and Mexico, as you won’t be covered.

Canada travel tips

To make life easier when travelling in Canada, there are a couple of things you should bear in mind:

  • One parent travelling with children must carry a letter of consent from the parent who isn’t travelling. Immigration officers can question children if there’s any concern around child abduction.
  • If you’re travelling on to the United States, you should check the entry requirements of the US to make sure you won’t be denied entry.

Driving in Canada

If you’re planning to drive when you’re in Canada, you can usually do so as long as you have a full UK driving licence. Make sure you always carry it with you.

Some car hire companies may need you to have an International Driving Permit, though, so make sure you check before you travel so you don’t get caught out. The FCDO recommends you take out full insurance when hiring a car.

If you’re planning on driving during the winter, be aware that conditions can be extreme. Roads in some provinces, such as Alberta and British Columbia, can be closed due to avalanches and snow storms.

Follow the weather forecast and make sure you’re prepared – that includes checking if you need snow tyres for the province you’re in.

Skiing and snowboarding

If you’re heading to Canada to hit the slopes at one of the many legendary ski resorts, you’ll need our Winter Sports upgrade to be covered for the trip. This makes sure you’re covered should the worst happen and you’re injured or your equipment is lost or damaged.

We cover a range of popular winter sports:

  • Piste skiing
  • Snowboarding
  • Glacier skiing
  • Big foot skiing
  • Tobogganing

There’s a full list of all the activities we cover in the policy document.

Hiking and camping

If you’re intending to go hiking or camping while travelling in Canada, take care and be considerate. Follow any park rules and regulations, take your rubbish with you and don’t feed any animals you see.

Be wary of animals with young as they’ll be more likely to act aggressively to protect them. Research how to deal with any animals you might encounter, and make sure you know if you’re going to be in an area where you might see bears.

Do you need a visa for Canada?

Canada visa requirements for British citizens are straightforward – if you’re travelling to Canada for a short period of time you don’t usually need a visa. If you’re travelling to Canada for a longer period of time – to work or study, for example – you should check if you need a visa with the Canadian High Commission.

If you’re flying into the country, as many British travellers do, you’ll need an electronic travel authorisation (eTA). You won’t be able to board your flight without one. Any travellers entering Canada by land or sea don’t need an eTA, but they’ll still need the usual valid travel documents.

For more information about the eTA and to apply online, visit the official Canadian government website.

What if I have a pre-existing condition?

A pre-existing condition is a short or long term illness or injury you have or have had before you buy travel insurance. This includes having symptoms, tests, diagnosis or medical treatment for a condition.

You can declare your pre-existing conditions during the quote process to see if we can offer cover. If you’re unsure what needs to be declared or if you're unable to find your condition on the medical conditions list, please contact us on 0333 234 9913.

Your pre-existing conditions won’t be covered unless you’ve:

  • Declared them all on your policy
  • Received written confirmation that we’ll cover your medical condition
  • Paid any additional premium in full

Policy terms and conditions apply. Please note, if you’ve had a positive diagnosis of Covid-19 and been prescribed medication, received treatment, or had a consultation with a doctor or hospital specialist for any medical condition in the past two years, this needs to be declared on your policy.

If you don’t tell us about your pre-existing conditions or give us incorrect information, your policy may be invalid, and we may refuse all or part of any claim you submit.

For a quote with us, click the green button above.

The MoneyHelper directory

If you require cover for more serious medical conditions, MoneyHelper may be able to help you find specialist travel insurance through their medical directory.

If you wish to get in touch with them you can call them on 0800 138 7777 or find them online. (Monday to Friday 8:00-18:00, closed on Saturday, Sunday and bank holidays.)

Your questions answered

Do I need a visa for Canada?

British citizens don’t usually need a visa for short term travel in Canada, but you may need one if you’re staying for a longer period for study or work. Find out if you need a visa by checking the Canadian High Commission website.

If you’re flying into Canada, you’ll need an electronic travel authorisation (eTA), and you won’t be allowed on your flight without one. Find out more about the eTA and apply online by visiting the official Canadian government website.

Do I need travel insurance for Canada?

It’s not compulsory to have travel insurance when travelling in Canada, but it’s definitely worth having. Could you afford to pay for medical treatment or replace lost luggage out of your own pocket if the worst were to happen?

How much time do I need on my passport to visit Canada?

As long as you have enough time to cover the duration of your stay, you’ll be fine. You don’t need any additional time on your passport when travelling in Canada.

Does my travel insurance cover me to drive in Canada with a UK licence?

You can drive a car in Canada if you have a full UK licence, but you should always carry your licence with you. Some car hire companies require you to have an International Driving Permit, so check with your car hire company before you travel. You should also take out full insurance to make sure you’re covered, as your travel insurance won’t cover you.

What are the requirements to enter Canada?

British citizens don’t usually need a visa for short visits to Canada – you’ll need an Electronic Travel Authorisation (eTA), which you must apply for before you travel. To find about more about the eTA and apply online, visit the official Canadian government website.

Do I need any vaccinations for travel to Canada from the UK?

If your routine vaccinations as recommended in the UK are up to date, you don’t currently need any other vaccinations when travelling to Canada – although you should check if you need a rabies booster.

For more information on where, when and how to get vaccines, take a look at our guide to travel vaccinations.

Is travel insurance mandatory for Canada?

You don’t have to have travel insurance for Canada but it’s a good idea to make sure you’re covered if you fall ill or have an accident when travelling there. Medical care in Canada can be expensive, and the average cost of medical procedures is £14,615 – find out more in the cost of getting ill abroad.

Can I travel to Canada if I have a pre-existing condition?

You can travel to Canada if you have a pre-existing condition as long as you declare it when you’re buying your cover. Read more about travelling with medical conditions.

show more

Getting the most out of your trip

Going anywhere nice?

Off to one of the destinations below? Take a look at our guides for some hints and tips on what you need to remember.

Travel insurance that suits you

Whether you're travelling solo, with your family, or with a little one on the way, read our guides to make sure our cover is right for you.

Travel Insurance upgrades

Whether you want the adrenaline rush of a skiing holiday, or fancy taking to the seas on a cruise, you'll need to add extra cover to your policy.