Renters Insurance

Protect your valuables from the unexpected

If you live in a shared home or flat, Renters Insurance covers the things you own.

What is Contents insurance for renters and tenants?

Renters Insurance protects your contents from damage or theft by someone you don’t live with while renting in a shared home or flat. Some landlords require their tenants to have some form of insurance so take a look at Admiral's contents insurance for a rental property.

Bundle your home and car insurance for a discounted MultiCover deal

Start with a home or car and bundle others for a lower price. Sign up now and your other cars or home join when they’re ready.

Multi cover insurance

Help around the clock

What if your laptop, tablet or one of your favourite electronics were stolen or damaged? Admiral's Renters home content insurance protects all your important stuff, should the worst happen.

And with our 24-hour claims helpline, we’ll be here to provide help around the clock.

Some insurers may not offer renters contents insurance which covers shared or communal spaces, but at Admiral we want to make sure that no matter what your living situation is, we can offer cover for your valuables.

Protection for your contents

While renting in a shared home or flat owned by a landlord, you’ll want to cover your belongings. Valuable items such as your bicycle, mobile phone, clothes and furniture are all important to you, which is why we now cover contents for those living in a shared home or flat.

But do you know what the value of your contents is? Making sure you have the right level of cover is important – over-insuring could be costly and under-insuring could have consequences if you needed to make a claim.

Before getting a home insurance quote, make sure you have a good understanding of what your valuables are worth with our useful contents calculator.

Contents Calculator

Do you know how much your stuff is worth? Get an idea with our helpful contents calculator.

Accidental Damage cover

Accidents happen but if you don’t have the right cover in place and an item were to be damaged, it could be expensive. Imagine you spilt a drink on one of your favourite gadgets like your tablet or computer? Are they protected?

With Accidental Damage cover, we’ll protect your valuables from the unexpected. It comes as standard on our Platinum renters insurance policy and can be added as an optional extra on our Admiral and Gold levels of cover.




Audiovisual Accidental Damage


Accidental Breakage Of Mirrors Or Glass


Full Contents Accidental Damage

Available Available

Tenant Liability Insurance

This covers you if you’re liable for accidental damage caused to your landlord’s fittings and fixtures while you’re living in the property. You shouldn’t be left out of pocket by paying for accidental damage to your landlord’s property.

Common issues covered by Admiral include:

  • Accidental damage to windows, glass doors or mirrors
  • Damage to the bathroom suite
  • Water escaping from any fixed water tanks, pipes, fixed central heating units or domestic appliances such as dishwashers and washing machines

Some landlords make tenant liability insurance a condition of the tenancy agreement, so make sure you read the agreement closely.

Cover away from home

You’ll probably want peace of mind that your belongings are covered outside the home as well as at home. To do this, you’ll need to add Personal Possession cover to your policy.

This means your items are covered worldwide on any of our three levels of cover. If you want to take your tablet on holiday or your laptop to the local coffee shop, you’ll be covered.

Student Renters Insurance

If you’re off to uni, you’ll want to make sure all your things are covered while you’re living in a shared house, flat or university halls.

Renters Insurance is a kind of student home insurance that specifically covers your belongings, letting you relax safe in the knowledge your stuff is protected.

For more information, take a look at our guide Admiral Renters Insurance for students.

Tenant liability cover is included in Admiral Renters Insurance as standard. Depending on which level of contents insurance for renters you choose, you’ll get up to £5,000, £10,000 or £20,000 worth of cover to pay damages, defence costs or expenses if any of the above happens during your tenancy.

Your questions answered

We're sure you'll love our great insurance products but maybe you have a few questions. You can find answers in this section.

Is my mobile phone covered?

Mobile phones are covered up to the amount shown in your policy schedule. We'll cover the handset but not mobile phone charges, loss of airtime or any damage caused by liquids.

If you need cover away from home, Personal Possession cover will need to be added to the policy.

Are my housemates' items covered under my policy?

Your housemates' items will not be covered on your Contents Policy. They would need to purchase their own individual policy to ensure their items are covered.

Will it cover me if I miss my rent?

This policy would not cover this.

Is my laptop covered outside of my house?

If your laptop is worth less than £1000, you will need to add Personal Possessions cover to the policy to ensure it is covered away from home.

If your laptop is worth more than £1000, it will need to be added to the policy as a Specified Item and cover away from home selected.

Is my bike covered?

Bicycles worth up to £350 are automatically covered in and away from your home.

Bicycles worth more than £350 will need to be listed individually on your policy and ‘Cover Away from Home’ selected to ensure they are covered outside of the home.

Find more information about bicycle cover with Admiral.

What’s the difference between Contents Insurance and Renters Insurance?

Contents Insurance covers the cost of replacing your contents in your home if they’re damaged, destroyed or stolen, where Renters Insurance protects your contents while renting in a shared home or flat. 

Renters only need to worry about contents cover. Those who own their homes, however, will need to consider buildings insurance too – as it's often a condition of your mortgage.

show more

Useful guides

Be social, be safe

Be social, be safe

We love our social media, but if you're not careful a seemingly innocent holiday snap could spell disaster for your home security.

Read more
What does renters insurance cover?

What does renters insurance cover?

Protect your contents from damage or theft by someone you don’t live in a shared home or flat

Read more
A guide to Admiral's Renters Insurance for students

A guide to Admiral's Renters Insurance for students

Excited for university? Make sure when you do go, you’re well prepared and protected.

Read more