Lifestyle Guides

A guide to Admiral's Tenants Insurance for students

Excited for university this year? Make sure that when you go you’re well prepared and protected.


University is an exciting time for both new and returning students alike. It’s a time in your life when you’re learning new things, both inside and outside of the lecture hall. What’s even more exciting is that for many students, you have a stronger sense of freedom because you may be living on your own away from your parents.

But are you aware of one of the best ways you can protect your belongings while away from home at university? You may be surprised to know that it can be as easy as having cover for your belongings and valuables.

What is tenants insurance?

Simply put, tenants insurance covers your contents, or your belongings, while you are living in a shared house, flat or university halls. Tenants insurance provides you with peace of mind as it protects your contents from damage or theft by someone who you don’t live with while renting in a shared home or flat.

What if your laptop, mobile phone or one of your other favourite electronics were stolen or damaged?

If the unexpected happens to your belongings, such as being damaged or stolen, your tenants insurance - or students contents insurance - will help cover the costs of replacing it. By having this cover, you can rest assured that your contents will be protected while you’re away at university.

And with our 24 hour claims helpline, we’ll be here for you to help around the clock.

What are my contents?

While you’re away at university, you may want to take important or cherished items from home. While they’re away at university, you’ll want to make sure they’re well protected. But what exactly are your contents? Below are a few examples:

  • Furniture
  • Clothes
  • Electrical items such as your laptop, tablet and mobile phone

If there are other items you’d want to have covered but you aren’t sure if they can be, one of our friendly agents will be happy to help when you call us on: 0333 220 2090.

Calls to 03 numbers will cost no more than calls to national geographic numbers (starting 01 or 02) from both mobiles and landlines.

Why should I protect my contents?

Did you know that 16-24 year olds are three times more likely to be victims of burglary than any other age group, according to the Office of National Statistics? As a student, it’s important that you protect your valuable belongings, such as tech, clothes or books, from the threat of theft or damage.

Imagine if something like your bicycle were stolen or damaged. You’re not only being faced with a major inconvenience, but out of pocket too. By having tenants insurance with Admiral, you won’t have to deal with the stress and inconvenience of losing one of your valuables. And with our 24 hour claims helpline, we’ll be here for you to help around the clock.

How do I determine the value of my contents?

One of the most important things about covering your contents is making sure you know just how much your belongings are worth. So, how do you get started?

Determining the cost of all of the belongings you want to have with you at university may seem like an overwhelming task, but it’s one that must be done to ensure you have the right level of cover.

To help you out, we’ve created a helpful and useful contents calculator. This tool allows you to easily calculate the contents you’d like to protect while away at university. While using the calculator, be careful to make a note of anything with a value of £1,000 or higher to ensure we are able to cover them.

What about Accidental Damage cover?

With tenants insurance, you also have the option of adding accidental damage cover to your policy. In the event of an accident that causes damage to your belongings, accidental damage cover will be there to help you.

For example, this can include spilling a drink on your laptop or knocking the TV off its stand. We understand that accidents happen and we want to make sure that we’re here to help you for when they do.


Is my mobile phone covered?

You will be covered up to the limit as specified on the tier you have selected to buy. Tier limits will be shown on your policy schedule.

If you require cover away from home then personal possession cover will need to be added to the policy.

Liquid damage to mobile phones is not covered.

Are my housemates’ items covered under my policy?

Your housemates items will not be covered on your contents policy. They would need to purchase their own individual to ensure their items are covered.

Will it cover me if I miss my rent?

This policy would not cover this.

Is my laptop covered outside of my house?

If your laptop is worth less than £1000, you will need to add personal possessions cover to the policy to ensure it is covered away from home.

If your laptop is worth more than £1000, it will need to be added to the policy as a specified item and 'cover away from home' selected.

Is my bike covered?

Inside the home any bike worth £350 or less is covered under the general contents. To have cover outside of the home, personal possessions cover would need to be added to the policy to cover bikes of £350 or less.

Bikes worth more than £350 will need to be added as a specified item on the policy and Cover Away from Home selected for cover outside of the home to ensure cover for bikes outside of the home.

Find out more about Admiral's Tenants Insurance or get a quote today.