Flood Insurance

Cover for homes at risk of flooding across the UK

Floods can cause massive destruction to homes and disrupt day-to-day life - but having the right cover in place could make the situation a bit easier to deal with.

A new Government scheme could help you save money...

Do you live in an area at high risk of flooding, or has your property been affected by flood?

If the answer to those questions is yes, you're probably used to struggling to find home insurance or facing high prices.

The good news is, thanks to a home insurance scheme called Flood Re, we may be able to provide you with a quote in your area.

Flood Re explained

It's an agreement between the Government and UK insurers, including Admiral, which allows us to offer more affordable insurance for areas most at risk of flooding. If your home is at risk, we may be able to save you  money.

Read our Flood Re Guide to find out more information about the scheme. If you've been affected by flood and need to make a claim, check our guide to claiming.

Who is eligible for Flood Re?

If your home was built before 2009, it could be eligible for the Flood Re scheme.

Unfortunately, not all properties are eligible for the Flood Re scheme. Commercial properties, buy to let homes and static caravans aren't eligible, for example.

Flexible cover from Admiral

Choose from three levels of home insurance cover, each with a range of features you can tailor to suit you.

Admiral Buildings Insurance covers your home's essentials.

Gold Buildings Insurance is great value, just like Admiral cover, but with some handy added extras.

Admiral Platinum is full-featured buildings insurance for people who want more from their home insurer.

If you're an existing customer, please check MyAccount or your policy book to see your cover limits.

Good to know

The table below shows the standard benefits and "up to" limits of each tier. You can customise these during a quote, and add optional cover like Accidental Damage.

Admiral Admiral
Contents cover (up to)




Home Emergency cover Optional
Home Emergency Extra cover Optional Optional
Family Legal Protection Optional Optional
Accidental Damage (Contents and Buildings) Optional Optional
Bicycle Cover




Personal possessions cover Optional Optional


Your questions answered

If you have any questions, you'll find the answers in this section.

How do you know my home is at risk of flooding?

We use detailed flood models to help us work out how likely it is that a property will flood. The models look at several factors, including how near it is to a water course and the lie of the land (topography).

How will you decide my home needs to be covered by the Flood Re scheme?

Each insurer has a different view of flood risk and this will be reflected in their decision to offer cover and what price to charge. If we feel we can't offer you a competitive quote we'll transfer the flood element of your cover into the Flood Re scheme. If your home floods, we'll deal with your claim as normal. However, we can recover the cost of the claim from the Flood Re scheme. You won't have any direct involvement with Flood Re.

Does my council tax band have anything to do with it?

When we transfer the flood risk of a property into the Flood Re scheme we have to pay a premium to Flood Re. This premium is based on the council tax band of your property. It's not the same amount that you pay your local council.

Why aren't homes built after 1st January 2009 eligible for the scheme?

This is in line with the rules of the scheme Flood Re replaces. Properties built from 2009 onwards have to meet new planning regulations which require adequate flood prevention measures to be in place.

Who will pay my claim?

We’ll handle your claim in the same way as any other. We'll assess your claim and make any payments – you won't have any direct contact with Flood Re.

Is the level of flood cover from Flood Re the same as Admiral?

Yes, if you buy insurance from us, we're your insurer and handle any claims

Will I need to disclose this as a special term on my policy?

Being part of Flood Re isn’t considered a special term and won’t stop you getting insurance elsewhere.

What if I'm unhappy with how my claim has been dealt with?

If you're not happy with how your claim has been handled, follow our normal complaints procedure.

I've heard insurers have to pay a levy, what does this mean?

To make sure there’s enough money available to pay the flood claims in the Flood Re scheme, the insurance industry pays a levy (fee) to Flood Re. The amount of money each insurer pays depends on their market share.

I have a holiday home – is it eligible?

Yes, if you pay council tax. Commercially let properties paying business rates aren’t eligible.

I have a property I let out – is it eligible?

No, landlords who let properties to others can’t use the scheme.

My neighbour is insured with a different insurer and has not been put into the Flood Re scheme, why has my home been put in Flood Re?

Each insurer uses their own data to work out their insurance prices and has a different view of the flood risk for your property. If one insurer believes the risk is low, they could offer an affordable price without using the Flood Re scheme.

Is it going to affect the value of my home?

Being part of Flood Re shouldn't affect your home’s value. Your home is part of Flood Re because of your insurer's risk assessment. If you moved to a different insurer, their view might be different, and they could offer an affordable price without using Flood Re.

Am I expected to do anything to reduce the flood risk?

No, but our website contains links to the Flood Re website where you can find details on how you can reduce the risk of flood damage to your property.

I thought the Government paid for flood damage?

The Government doesn't pay to repair flood damage to your home or contents. Sometimes the Government offers grants after a flood to help cover the cost of making changes to your home that will reduce the chances or cost of future flood damage, but this doesn't cover the cost of replacing your belongings.

Do I pay a different excess?

Each insurer sets their own excess. The Flood Re scheme aims to prevent high excesses. Most insurers set an excess of £250 for properties in the Flood Re scheme.

We don't have Council Tax bands in Northern Ireland – what does this mean for me?

The rates payable in Northern Ireland have been worked out against council tax bands used elsewhere in the UK. This means you can benefit from Flood Re like the rest of the UK.

Will you cover flood risks across the whole of the UK?

We consider several factors when deciding if we can insure your property. Not all properties are eligible for the Flood Re scheme, so we may not be able to offer a quote.

What if my property is leasehold?

A leasehold property can be part of the Flood Re scheme if it meets the eligibility criteria.

show more

Useful guides

What to do if your house floods

What to do if your house floods

At least 3.5 million homes in England are at risk of flooding, with one in 12 of these categorised as high risk.

Read more
What is Flood Re and how does it affect home insurance?

What is Flood Re and how does it affect home insurance?

Flood Re aims to give homeowners a wider range of home insurance options at a more affordable price.

Read more
5 ways extreme weather can affect your home

5 ways extreme weather can affect your home

Britain's weather is unpredictable and this year has seen extremes of cold and hot. But how could this weather affect your home?

Read more

Looking for something different?

If you own your home you may also need to insure your building. Not to worry, Admiral offers great value and flexible options across all our Home Insurance products.