Over 75? Here’s what you need to know about travel insurance

Over 75 and heading overseas or around the UK on your travels? If you’re one of the growing number of older adventurers choosing to spend your retirement globetrotting, having the right travel insurance policy will give you peace of mind and protection while you’re seeking new experiences.


Why should I get over-75s travel insurance?

Taking a holiday or an extended trip abroad can be a significant investment. If something goes wrong while you're away, such as losing your luggage or being taken ill unexpectedly, having insurance in place can help you recover the cost of your holiday and pay for any medical treatment you may need.

In the UK we’re fortunate to receive free healthcare from the NHS but, in other countries, people need to pay for their own treatment. If you don't have travel insurance, you could find yourself facing a significant bill for the medical treatment you receive abroad.

Is travel insurance for over 75s more expensive?

Travel insurance for people over 75 is likely to be more expensive than for younger travellers. This is because as we get older, there’s more chance we will experience health issues and need medical intervention, which is considered by insurers when calculating premiums.

What does an Admiral Travel Insurance policy cover?

Our policies cover a wide range of scenarios including emergency medical treatment and repatriation (return travel) to the UK. You may also be covered if your belongings are lost, damaged or stolen, you need legal assistance while you are away, or your flight is delayed or cancelled.

It's always advisable to buy cover well in advance of your trip, to cover you in the event of your travel plans being cancelled. Our policy summary booklet sets out in detail what is and isn’t covered.

Will my pre-existing medical condition be covered?

If you have any pre-existing medical conditions, such as stroke, heart issues or cancer, you need to tell us about them before you travel, to make sure they’re covered.

If you don’t tell us about a pre-existing condition and you need treatment for it while away from home, you won’t be able to make a claim on your policy for any costs relating to it.

If you have a pre-existing condition, you should check with your doctor that you’re fit to travel. If you don't get the go-ahead or travel against your doctor’s advice and become ill during your trip, you may not be able to make a claim.

Can I get free medical treatment abroad?

If you are travelling in the European Economic Area or Switzerland, you should apply for an GHIC (Global Health Insurance Card) before you go. This gives you access to medical care in member countries; however, not all treatment is free, and you may have to contribute towards any medical expenses you incur.  

Some countries, such as New Zealand, Australia and the Falkland Islands, also have reciprocal health care agreements with the UK but, again, these don't cover all medical services. For example, if you need to be transported back to the UK following illness or injury, you will need a travel insurance policy in place to cover the costs.

To find out the true costs of getting ill abroad, check out our interactive globe where you can explore the cost of medical treatment in the most popular travel destinations for UK holidaymakers.

I’d like to go on a cruise - am I covered?

A cruise is a great way to combine the luxury of a top hotel with the excitement of experiencing a different country every few days. If you choose one of our Platinum policies, cruise cover is included as standard, but you must add the extra cover to the Admiral-level and Gold tiers.

By adding the Cruise upgrade, your travel insurance will be validated while you're on board the cruise ship. You will not be covered for any part of a cruise holiday without the add-on.

As well as standard travel insurance cover, this kind of policy includes cruise-specific cover such as missed port departure (for reasons set out in the policy guide only) or cabin confinement, where you have been asked to stay in your cabin for medical reasons by the ship's medical officer.

I’m going on a golfing holiday - will my clubs be covered?

If lush fairways and the possibility of landing that elusive hole-in-one sounds like your idea of holiday heaven, you can add golf cover to your travel insurance policy.

If your clubs are damaged, lost or stolen, or you lose your green fees because of bad weather or injury, you will be able to make a claim on your policy, subject to policy limits.

Are my gadgets protected?

Don't forget about your smartphone, camera, Kindle or SatNav when you arrange your holiday insurance.

You're probably going to take at least two valuable devices with you, so check to see if they are covered under your policy. You can add on gadget cover to protect your devices from loss, damage and fraudulent use.

Before you go

There’s a lot to organise before you go on holiday, and it’s easy to forget the small things. Before you embark on your adventures, read your travel documents carefully and, if you're unsure of anything at all, speak to one of our advisors on 0333 234 9913.