We’re currently experiencing high call volumes so it may take us longer than usual to answer your call.

Car and Home new customers – We’ll be with you as soon as possible or you may prefer to get your quote and cover online. 

Car and Home existing customers – Call wait times are up to an hour so we are prioritising changes required in the next 1-3 days. We recommend you update your policy in MyAccount or get in touch via webchat.

We’re sorry for any inconvenience caused and thank you for your patience.


Brexit: Your Cover

Green Card FAQs

Our guide to driving in Europe now and after Brexit.

How is my cover affected by Brexit?

For the time being, Brexit won’t affect your cover. You’ll still be covered for up to 90 days in the countries listed in Your Car/Van Insurance Guide. You can find the guide you need here: Policy Books. This period can also be extended with our prior agreement. 

Towards the end of the year you may need extra documentation to drive abroad. This page will be updated as we know more so please check your documentation and this page before you leave. Up to date information is also available at GOV.UK.

What's a Green Card?

A Green Card is an internationally recognised insurance document that proves you have the minimum level of cover for third party property damage and personal injury in countries that are part of the Green Card system.

What countries will I need a Green Card for?

In the event of a no-deal Brexit, or at the end of any transitional period when we leave the EU, you'll need a Green Card to drive in:

  • Countries in the European Union (EU)
  • Countries in the European Economic Area (EEA)
  • Switzerland
  • Andorra
  • Serbia

Will I be insured to drive in the countries listed above after Brexit?

Our policies will still allow you to drive in Europe after Brexit. Depending on the outcome of the negotiations with the EU you may need a Green Card and other additional documentation to drive there at the end of 2020.

If you don't have a Green Card and no deal is reached at the end of the year, you may be breaking the law and you might face a fine or your vehicle could be seized.

Please contact us if you need to drive abroad for longer than 90 days.

Do I need to request a Green Card?

At the moment, you can drive your vehicle in the countries listed above without a Green Card, but this would change if we leave the EU without a deal.

If you plan to be outside the UK towards the end of the year, you may need a Green Card to show you have the minimum level of cover abroad. You can request a Green Card using our online form but we'll update this page when we know more.

Your Questions Answered

The situation could change, so we'll keep our customers updated. If you have any questions please contact us or have a look at our Frequently Asked Questions.

Should I request a Green Card in case there’s a no-deal Brexit?

At the moment, you can drive your vehicle in the countries listed above without a Green Card, but this would change if we leave the EU without a deal or at the end of any transitional period after we leave the EU.

If you’re concerned that you may be abroad in one of the countries listed above later in the year when there’s a chance we could leave the EU without a deal, you can request a Green Card using our online form.

How much does a Green Card cost?

Green Cards are free for Admiral Car and Van Insurance customers.

Can all car insurance policy holders request a Green Card?

If your licence entitles you to drive abroad then you’ll be able to request a Green Card.

Does the Green Card cover all drivers on the motor insurance policy?

All named drivers on the policy can be named on the Green Card as long as their licence entitles them to drive abroad.

What happens if I drive in the European countries listed above without a Green Card after a no-deal Brexit? Will this invalidate my insurance?

Green Cards are required by the local authorities in each country to prove you have valid insurance or you may not be covered in the event of an accident. You could be stopped from entering at the border, pulled over to check minimum requirements and your vehicle could be seized.

How long will it take for me to receive my Green Card?

Please request your Green Card at least 14 days before you travel.

Once we’ve received your request, we’ll send the Green Card to your postal address in 3-5 business days.

What if I’m towing something, like a trailer or caravan?

You’ll need to contact us so we can provide you with another Green Card depending on what you are towing.

Will there be any changes to driving licences?

Possibly. If you’re driving in the countries listed above after a no-deal Brexit (or at the end of any transitional period when we leave the EU), you may need an international driving permit (IDP) as well as your UK driving licence. For more on this, check the Government’s guidance.

What is an international driving permit (IDP)?

An IDP is an additional document to your driving licence that proves you’re a visitor when you’re driving abroad.

There are three types of IDPs and different countries recognise different versions. Rules may be different depending on if you have a photocard or paper licence.

Check the Government’s advice to find out if you need an IDP (and if you do, which version you need).

How do I buy an IDP?

An IDP costs £5.50 and is available over the counter at more than 3,000 Post Office branches.

IDPs are valid immediately but can also be post-dated up to three months. If you’re planning on driving to the EU later in the year, it’s best to buy your IDP in good time to make sure you have all the documentation you need before your trip.

What other documentation do I need to take?

We recommend you take your vehicle log book with you (V5C) when driving abroad. Please check GOV.UK for the most up to date information on driving abroad and what documentation you will need to take with you.

show more