Driving in Europe: Do I need a Green Card to drive in Europe?


Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Google plus Email

A Green Card is an internationally-acceptable document that allows motorists to drive across international borders, and proves the existence of insurance.

While a Green Card is no longer required in most countries, taking one will make it easier if you need to make a claim or exchange details with another driver or the police.

Please contact our Customer Services team to find out whether they can issue a Green Card for the country you are visiting.

How do I get a Green Card?

Your Admiral car insurance comes with 90-day European cover as standard and is printed on the back of the Certificate of Motor Insurance. All named drivers on your policy benefit from the cover but you must remember to take the certificate with you on your trip.

Your European cover is valid for the following countries: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland

Call us on 0333 220 2000 to find out if we can issue your Green Card.

Green card insurance

Remember, the Green Card itself is not insurance so make sure you have appropriate cover for your trip. The card is an internationally-recognised document that shows you have the minimum cover to drive in Europe. It also ensures you're not disadvataged if you're in an accident involving a foreign-registered vehicle.

For further information on the Green Card visit the Motor Insurers Bureau website

Share with your friends

Car Insurance

98% of customers would buy from us again

Based on 19977 respondents from the last 6 months.

Get a quote

8749 People had a quote in the last 24 hours.

Retrieve quote