GAP Insurance

Provided by Car Care Plan Ltd.

Protect yourself against financial shortfall

Do you need cover for the difference between your insurance settlement and the value we agree today, should your car be stolen or written off?

What is GAP Insurance?

Your car may lose value over time

It's a well known fact that most cars lose value the minute they leave the forecourt. In April 2017, WhatCar? reported most cars lose between 50% and 60% of their value in the first three years of ownership.

Don’t be out of pocket if you make a claim

Car insurers often only pay out the current market value of a car after a total loss claim or if your car is stolen – meaning you could be left short of what you originally paid.

Values are representative and not accurate valuations.

GAP pays the drop in value

If you've just bought a car brand new, GAP insurance will pay the shortfall between the car’s value at the time you make the claim versus the amount you paid for the car.

Is my car eligible for Admiral GAP cover?

Admiral GAP Insurance covers a wide-range of new and used cars up to five-years-old and less than 50,000 miles on the clock, whether it was bought outright, through a finance option or a personal lease agreement.

Why you need GAP insurance

One of the main benefits of this cover is it offers peace of mind that you won't be left short should your car be written off or stolen.

Admiral’s cover can be purchased in addition to any existing comprehensive car insurance policy – it doesn’t have to be through Admiral.

Five great reasons to choose Admiral GAP Insurance

Trusted brand

We're one of the UK's largest car insurers with 25 years of motor claims experience.

Excess cover

£250 of your car insurance excess is covered if you make a claim.


Payments are made directly to you, or the finance company, on confirmation of total loss.


Choose from 24, 36 or 48 months' cover.

Full refund

If there’s no 'gap' between your insurer's settlement and the value of your car, we'll fully refund the cost of your GAP policy.

How does Admiral GAP Insurance work?

If you bought your car outright in the last 100 days, this policy covers the difference between the insurer's settlement - normally market value - and the amount paid at the time the vehicle was bought.

For example, if you bought your car yesterday for £20,000 and decided to take out Admiral GAP Insurance straight away, the "gap" between the value when you bought it and the value after depreciation is covered.

How GAP insurance works

  • You're in an accident and your now one-year-old car is written off
  • Your car insurance company offers to pay out the market value which is £15,000
  • Admiral GAP Insurance will pay the difference between your insurer's settlement figure and the price you paid originally - £5,000 - leaving you with no financial shortfall.

If you bought the car more than 100 days ago, we'll pay the difference between the motor insurer's settlement amount and market value at the point you bought your GAP policy.

Can I get GAP cover if my car was bought using finance?

Yes, if you bought your car on finance within the last 100 days, our GAP policy covers the costs of any existing lending if your car is written off or stolen.

When looking at a GAP claim, we consider the shortfall from the finance settlement and the gap from the invoice price - Admiral pays whichever is higher.

Your Questions Answered

What if I already have new vehicle replacement with my car insurance provider?

You may be entitled to new vehicle replacement cover under your motor insurance policy for the first 12 months, if your car is written off or stolen. Should you accept a new vehicle from them, your Admiral GAP Insurance could benefit you in one of the following ways:

  • Use your GAP cover to help with your motor insurance excess (up to £250).
  • Transfer the GAP cover to your new vehicle.
  • Receive a full refund of any premium paid for your GAP cover.

If your motor insurer does not offer you a new replacement vehicle, or you decide not to accept it, your Admiral GAP Insurance will pay as normal.

Why do cars depreciate in value?

There are many things which can cause a car to lose value. Generally, as cars age, their mileage increases and condition gets worse, resulting in a slump in value. Typically you can expect to lose between 15% and 35% in the first year and up to 50% or more over three years. Service history, number of owners, and reputation of model can also cause values to drop. Find out more in our guide 'What is car depreciation?'

What does 'written off' mean?

When a vehicle is so badly damaged it can be deemed as beyond economical repair by an insurer - known as 'written off' or a 'total loss'.

I thought I had to buy a GAP policy through the dealership, is this not the case?

No - you can choose your provider and buy it online at any time, depending on the type of car you own.

Who is covered with my policy?

Our GAP policies cover the policyholder and all named drivers on your comprehensive motor insurance policy.

I use my car for commercial travel; will it be covered?

We can only cover cars used for social, domestic, pleasure including for commuting between one or more permanent places of work.

I've added some optional extras to my car; will the cost of these be covered?

Yes, if you've bought your car within the last 100 days and paid for manufacturer optional extras, these will be covered. You just need to give us an accurate invoice price including the cost of any optional extras.

How do I make a claim?

You can make a claim in the portal or by phone, e-mail or post.

The address is: Car Care Plan Ltd, Jubilee House, 5 Mid Point Business Park, Thornbury, West Yorkshire BD3 7AG.

Does GAP insurance cover me if my car is stolen?

Yes, in the unfortunate event your car is stolen and your main insurance provider pays out your GAP policy will provide protection.

What payment options are available?

You can pay in full with a one-off payment, or depending on eligibility, spread the cost over 10 monthly instalments. We do not charge interest for paying monthly!

I only have a third party, fire and theft motor insurance policy, can I still get GAP insurance?

Admiral GAP is only available in addition to a comprehensive policy.

Can you cover my classic car?

No, we are unable to provide cover for classic cars. We cover a wide range of makes and models under five years old.

Are there any exclusions?

As with all policies there are some exclusions, we’ve listed some of the main ones below but for a full list see our policy booklet.

We don't cover:

  • Scooters
  • Motorcycles
  • Touring caravans
  • Non-United Kingdom specification Vehicles or not built for principal sale in the UK
  • Grey imports
  • Kit cars
  • Buses and coaches
  • Commercial vehicle more than 3.5 tonnes
  • Trucks and HGVs
  • Emergency or military vehicles
  • Courier or delivery vehicles
  • Driving school tuition cars
  • Taxis

We don't cover cars used for track days, road racing, rallying, pace making, speed testing or any other competitive event.

If my motor insurer refuses to pay out on my claim, can I still claim on my GAP policy?

Not if your insurer refuses to pay out.

I don't have a UK full or provisional licence type, will you cover me?

No, you need to have a UK full or UK provisional licence type in order to be eligible.

show more

Other Car Insurance Products

Single Car Insurance deals

Cover from only £303

10% of customers paid £303 or less between Jan - Jun 2020.

Single Car Insurance

MultiCar discounts for two or more cars

Save over £252

10% of customers who gave a best alternative price saved £252 between Oct 2019 & Mar 2020.

MultiCar Insurance

Black Box bargains

Save over 29% with LittleBox

10% of customers who gave a best alternative price saved over 29% between Jan - Jun 2020.

LittleBox Insurance

Car Sharing Insurance

Borrow or share a car - cover for one hour to a month.

Car Sharing Insurance

Personalise your car insurance

Car Care Plan Ltd

Registered Office: Jubilee House, 5 Mid Point Business Park, Thornbury, West Yorkshire BD3 7AG. Registered in England. Company No: 850195. Car Care Plan Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.