Admiral Loans Privacy and Security
You acknowledge that by providing your personal data to us, you consent to its processing in the manners outlined below. We are unable to offer you any product or service unless you provide explicit consent for the collection and use of sensitive personal data as defined in the Data Protection Act 1998.
Who we are
Admiral is a registered trading name of the data controller EUI Limited (registered company no. 02686904, ICO registration number Z5299783). EUI Limited is part of Admiral Group plc.
Additional data controllers
Companies within Admiral Group plc:
- EUI Limited: trading as Admiral, Bell, Diamond and elephant.co.uk
- Able Insurance Services Limited: trading as Gladiator
- Admiral Law Limited: trading as Admiral Law
- BDE Law Limited: trading as EUI Law, Diamond Law and Elephant Law
- Inspop.com Limited: trading as Confused.com
We use the following data processors to assist in providing you with our Admiral loans product:
- Pancredit Systems Limited (No. Z7159236) to maintain the loans website.
At all times, EUI Limited will remain the data controller.
Data we collect
We collect personal data and sensitive personal data about loan applicants as part of providing services to you. We may also monitor or record calls, emails, SMS messages or other communications in accordance with UK law.
Types of data we may collect
Credit searches will be made for application purposes, visible on your credit file as financial credit checks, so you can see which companies made enquiries.
Applications you submit for a loan may affect your credit score so you may wish to keep applications to a minimum to protect your credit rating.
Examples of personal data we collect includes:
- Name and address, date of birth
- Telephone numbers and email address
- Credit/debit card details
- Lifestyle and other information
Sensitive personal data
Examples of sensitive personal data we collect include:
- Criminal convictions
Call recording and monitoring
We monitor or record calls, emails, SMS messages or other communications for:
- Business purposes such as quality control and training
- Processing necessary for entering into or performance of a contract
- Prevention of unauthorised use of our telecommunication systems and websites
- Ensuring effective systems operation
- Meeting any legal obligation
- Protecting your vital interests
- Prevention or detection of crime
- For the legitimate interests of the data controller
When data is collected
We will collect your personal data when:
- You make a loan application
- We require additional information from you for validation purposes
- You purchase our products and services
- You make customer enquiries
- You register for information or other services
- You respond to communications or surveys
How your data is used
We will use your data for:
- Processing your loan application
- Administering your loan
- Fraud prevention and detection
- Credit scoring or other automated decision-making systems
- Administering debt recoveries
- Verifying your identity when required
- Undertaking market research, product development and statistical purposes
- Keeping you informed about promotions and new developments by email, telephone or post
- For assessment and analysis to enable us to review, develop and improve the services which we offer and to enable us to provide you and other customers with relevant information through our marketing programme
- We may use your information to make decisions about you using computerised technology to profile you, such as assessing which products might be most suitable for you
Dealing with other people
It is our policy to deal only with the person named on the loan application. In exceptional circumstances, we may, on a case by case basis agree to communicate with someone acting on your behalf, once your consent has been given.
Admiral Group plc will contact you from time to time by telephone, post, email, social media channels or SMS to keep you informed of news, our range of products or services.
Marketing & your preferences
We would like to keep you informed of news, products or services, including but not limited to insurance (e.g. automotive, household, legal or financial products or other carefully selected offers or promotions which we feel may be of interest to you).
If you have visited our site and have selected to submit an application, we may contact you, by telephone or other means, to discuss your application and any credit facility available to you.
Other carefully selected companies may also contact you by post. If you have opted in to receive emails, SMS, social media or telephone calls from other selected companies, you may also be contacted about other products that we believe may be of interest to you by these contact methods.
If you would like to alter your marketing preferences, please click here or write to the Marketing Department, EUI Limited, Tŷ Admiral, David Street, Cardiff, CF10 2EH.
Your cookie preferences
Managing, Disabling and Enabling Cookies
You have the ability to accept or decline cookies from any website by modifying the settings in your browser. If you wish to restrict or block the cookies which are set by our website, you can do this through your browser settings. For information about how to manage and disable cookies you can use the 'Help' function within your browser or please visit www.aboutcookies.org or www.allaboutcookies.org. However, please note that by deleting or disabling cookies this could affect the functionality of our website and you may not be able to access certain areas or features of our site.
Who has access to your data
Apart from ourselves, other companies that may have access to your data include:
- Companies within the Admiral Group (For the purposes of this Privacy Statement, "Admiral Group" means Admiral Group plc and any company or entity in which Admiral Group plc owns more than 15% of the issued share capital. Companies in the Admiral Group shall include, without limitation, EUI Limited, Admiral Insurance Company Ltd, Admiral Insurance (Gibraltar) Ltd, Inspop.com Ltd, Able Insurance Services Ltd and any other company that is incorporated within the Admiral Group at any time in the future). A full list of our companies can be found at www.admiralgroup.co.uk/business/our_companies.php;
- Re-organised entity or third party in the event that we undergo re-organisation or are sold to a third party; where it is necessary to deliver the products and services bought by you.
Request your data
You have the right to access the data we hold about you under Section 7 of the Data Protection Act 1998.
How to make a Subject Access Request
Please write to:
Data Protection Officer
Cardiff CF10 2AA
- Your name, address, loan reference number and what information you would like.
- Two forms of identification such as a copy of a driving licence, passport, or document containing your signature, and a copy of a recent utility bill that confirms your address. (This is to take reasonable steps to confirm your identity before providing you with details of any personal information we may hold about you.)
- A cheque made payable to "EUI Limited" for £10. (In accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998, we are entitled to charge £10 to cover the administration costs.)
Please note that if your SAR involves personal data of other people or you are making a request on behalf of another (such as a parent on behalf of their child), we will need identification from these individuals, as well as a signed letter of authority from them that they are happy for you to act on their behalf and for us to release their data from you.
Confidentiality and disclosure of your data
We will endeavour to treat your personal data as private and confidential. From time to time we will employ agents and subcontractors to process your personal data on our behalf. The same duty of confidentiality and security will apply to them and all processing will be carried out under our instruction.
We would like to bring to your attention our obligations to disclose data in the following four exceptional cases permitted by law, and the other situations set out below. These are:
- Where we are legally compelled to do so
- Where there is a duty to the public to disclose
- Where disclosure is required to protect our interest
- Where disclosure is made at your request or with your consent
If you make a complaint about the service we have provided, we may be obliged to forward details about your complaint, including your personal data, to the relevant ombudsman. You can be assured that they are similarly obliged to adhere to the Data Protection Act and keep your personal data strictly confidential.
Use of your data for fraud prevention & detection and credit checking
When you apply to us for a loan, we make a number of checks to assess your application for credit and verifying identities to prevent and detect crime and money laundering. To obtain this information, we will check the following records about you as part of the loan application.
- Our own records
- Credit Reference Agency (CRA) records. When we search these records CRAs will place a search footprint on your credit file that may be seen by other lenders. They supply us with both public (including the electoral register), and shared credit and fraud prevention information
- Fraud Prevention Agency (FPA) Records
- Publically available information such as data from the Office for National Statistics (ONS)
We make searches about you at credit reference agencies who will supply us with information, including the Electoral Register and credit information. The agencies will record details of the search whether or not your application proceeds. We may use scoring methods to assess this application and to verify your identity.
Credit searches and other information which is provided to us and/or the credit reference agencies, about you, may be used by EUI Limited and other companies if you, or other members of your household, apply for other facilities including insurance applications and claims. This information may also be used for debt tracing and the prevention of money laundering as well as the management of your account. Alternatively, we may ask you to provide physical forms of identification.
We may also make periodic searches at CRAs and FPAs to manage your account with us.
Information on applications will be sent to and recorded by CRAs. When you borrow from us, we will give details of your account(s) and how you manage it/them to CRAs. If you borrow and do not repay in full and on time, CRAs will record the outstanding debt. This information may be supplied to other organisations by CRAs and FPAs to perform similar checks, and to trace your whereabouts and recover debts that you owe. Records remain on file for six years after they are closed, whether settled by you or defaulted.
If you give us false or inaccurate information and we suspect or identify fraud, we will record it and may also pass this information to FPAs and other organisations involved in the prevention of crime and fraud.
If you borrow from us and do not make payments that you owe us, we will trace your whereabouts and recover debts.
Your data may also be used for other purposes for which you give your specific permission or, in very limited circumstances, when required by law or where permitted under the terms of the Data Protection Act 1998.
How to find out more
This is a condensed guide to the use of your personal information for credit reference purposes. If you would like to read the full details of how your data may be used please phone our Customer Services Department or write to us at Pricing Department, Tŷ Admiral, David Street, Cardiff, CF10 2EH.
You can contact the Credit Reference Agencies currently operating in th UK for further information. They will charge you a small statutory fee.
- Equifax: Credit File Advice Centre, PO Box 1140, Bradford, BD1 5US www.equifax.co.uk.
- Call Credit: Consumer Services Team, PO Box 491, Leeds, LS3 1WZ www.callcredit.co.uk.
- Experian, Consumer Help Service, PO Box 8000, Nottingham NG80 7WF www.experian.co.uk.
Fraud prevention and detection
In order to prevent and detect fraud insurers may, at any time share information about you with our other group companies.
If false or inaccurate information is provided and fraud is identified details will be passed to fraud prevention agencies. Law enforcement agencies may access and use this information.
We and other organisations may also access and use this information to prevent fraud and money laundering, for example, when:
- checking details on applications for credit and credit related or other facilities
- managing credit and credit related accounts or facilities
- recovering debt
- checking details on proposals and claims for all types of Insurance
- checking details of job applicants and employees
Please contact us on 0800 052 3144 if you want to receive details of the relevant fraud prevention agencies.
We and other organisations may access and use, from other countries, the information recorded by fraud prevention agencies.
We use industry standard security to encrypt personal data in transit to our servers.
It may be necessary to transfer your personal data to other Group companies or service providers located outside of the European Economic Area. The data protection and other laws of these countries may not be as comprehensive as those in the UK or the EEA - in these instances we will take steps to ensure that your data is given an equivalent level of protection as it is in the EEA.
Show further information
When you ask for a loan from us, we will process the data on a secure server. Microsoft Internet Explorer will confirm that you are in a secure area by displaying an unbroken key or lock in the bottom right hand corner of your browser window.
Many organisations use security features such as firewalls to protect their computer systems. These firewalls may prevent you from connecting to our secure server to get a quote. If you are at work and cannot connect to our web site, please speak to your IT administrator.
Please be aware that communications over the Internet, such as emails, are not secure unless they have been encrypted. Your communications may route through a number of countries before being delivered this is the nature of the Internet. We cannot accept responsibility for any unauthorised access or loss of personal information that is beyond our control.
Additionally, you can protect your system by installing anti-virus and running scans as recommended by the vendor. You should also run any security updates / patches you receive for your system from the supplier.
Never respond to unsolicited emails from unfamiliar sources. Such emails may be fraudulent and attempt to get you to provide your personal details or payment information.
Changes to this policy
From time to time we may need to change the way we use your personal data. Where we believe you may not reasonably expect such a change we will write to you. When we do so, you will have 60 days to object to the change but if we do not hear from you within that time you consent to that change.