Driving in Europe: important documentation to take


Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Google plus Email

Make sure the following documents are up-to-date and keep them with you just in case the police ask to see them:

  • Certificate of Motor Insurance
  • A valid full driving licence - paper and photo card if you have them
  • Original vehicle registration document - if you can't get the original registration document because the car is leased or hired, the only legal alternative is the Vehicle on Hire Certificate VE103b, available from BVRLA
  • Your passport - for some countries in mainland Europe but not in the EU (for example, Belarus) you might also need an International Driving Permit (IDP). In most EU countries, your UK driving licence will be sufficient. Some countries in mainland Europe, such as Russia, require a Visa too
  • Agreed Statement of Facts on Motor Vehicle Accident - a European accident form which goes by different names in different countries. This form is very important if you are ever involved in an accident abroad, it is explained in more detail in the next section.

Go back to:

·  Make sure you're insured

·  In the event of a claim: Agreed Statement of Facts on Motor Vehicle Accident

·  In the event of a claim: Important details

·  Make sureyou're legal

·  Be safe

Share with your friends