Your quote is being tracked. Thanks for shopping through Mumsnet.

Travel Insurance

20% off Travel Insurance with Mumsnet

Get a quote Terms & Conditions

Single trip or Annual, Golf, Winter Sports or Cruise; we’ve cover to suit you.

Admiral Travel Insurance has three levels of cover, spanning the UK, Europe and Worldwide.

Single trip travel insurance

Single Trip Insurance

Cover for a single trip up to 365 days - perfect if you’re not a frequent traveller.

Learn More
Annual travel insurance

Annual Travel Insurance

Cover for every holiday you take in a year, almost anywhere in the world (up to 31 days at a time).

Learn More
Winter sports travel insurance

Winter Sports Travel Insurance

If you fancy the adrenaline rush of a skiing holiday you'll need to add on our Winter Sports Cover.

Learn More

Golf Travel Insurance

If you are going on a golf holiday why not check out the benefits of our Golf Insurance Cover.

Learn More

Cruise Travel Insurance

If you're taking to the seas on a cruise, you'll need to add on our Cruise Cover.

Learn More

Gadget Insurance

Gadget insurance extends the standard cover for your gadgets.

Learn More

What level of cover do I need?

With Admiral Travel Insurance you can choose from Admiral, Admiral Gold or Admiral Platinum Cover.

Here are just a few of the benefits. You can read the full list in the policy summary booklet.








Emergency medical treatment & repatriation
(Limits up to)




Cancellation or cutting short your trip
(Limits up to)




Personal belongings
(Limits up to)




Money & documents
(Limits up to)




If you're fancying the adrenaline rush of a skiing holiday, or you're taking to the seas on a cruise, you'll need to add on our Winter Sports Upgrade or Cruise Upgrade to your travel insurance policy as these activities are not covered otherwise. If you're buying Admiral Platinum cover, cruise cover comes as standard, but you must add these Upgrades to all other available tiers to be able to claim on any part of your travel insurance.

Single Trip policies cover one trip up to 365 days, while our Annual Travel policies cover you for 12 months' - unlimited travel for trips up to 31 days.

4 reasons to choose Admiral

Flexible Choice

Choose Single trip or Annual Multi Trip cover with varying levels of cover and many sports and leisure activities included as standard. Additional cover available for Winter Sports, Golf, Gadget and Cruise holidays.

Great cover when you need it

We insure a wide range of medical conditions and pay up to £20million in emergency medical expenses.

Cover for young and old

We don’t think age should hinder adventure which is why we offer travel insurance to holidaymakers aged 18 to over 65. Children can be added to an adult’s policy.

Access to our 24‑hour Multilingual Emergency Helpline

If you’re injured or fall ill while on holiday, you can call our 24-hour Emergency Assistance Helpline.

Having trouble deciding?

Answer a couple of questions to help us point you in the right direction.

How many times are you going away in the next 12 months?

Keep Admiral Travel Insurance in mind when you start planning your next trip.

Get a quote

Are you going skiing or snowboarding?

Yes No

If you take to the skies regularly, an Annual Travel Insurance policy could be just what you're looking for.

Find out more

When you're out on the slopes, the last thing you need to worry about is a fall or damage to your expensive equipment; this is where Admiral Winter Sports Travel Insurance comes into play.

Find out more

Are you going to be taking golf clubs on holiday?

Yes No

Whether you have 18 holes pencilled in everyday or just a couple of rounds with your partner, Admiral Golf Travel Insurance offers the cover you need before setting foot on the fairways.

Find out more

Are you going on a cruise?

Yes No

With Admiral Cruise Insurance you're covered for everything from missed departures to cruise itinerary changes whether you're seeing the Med or enjoying a round-the-world cruise.

Find out more

Whether you're sightseeing in the UK, city-hopping around Europe or sunning yourself on a beach across the pond, Admiral covers the UK, Europe and Worldwide.

Get a quote

Travel insurance explained

After forking out for the holiday you might be asking yourself 'what is travel insurance and do I really need it?'.

Basically, it's there to protect you if the worst were to happen while you're overseas. For example, losing your luggage feels like a disaster, but with insurance in place, at least it won't feel like the end of the world.

You can choose a Single Trip policy or annual cover, then choose from our range of add-ons for Winter Sports, Golf and Cruise travel if you’re going on a more specialist holiday.

Why might you need it?

Many people think it's just there to help if their flights are delayed or their baggage goes missing but it could be the difference between an accident abroad costing you an insurance excess, or paying thousands of pounds out of your own pocket.

The average cost of a medical claim on a travel insurance policy in 2016, according to the ABI, was £1,300.

Mark Shepherd, Assistant Director, Head of Property, Commercial and Specialist Lines at the Association of British Insurers, said: “While most travellers enjoy their breaks, falling seriously ill overseas is stressful enough, without the added worry of how to pay for potentially very expensive medical bills."

Admiral provides you with 24 hour emergency support so you'll be able to reach someone at any time if the worst were to happen. And you can also include cover to help if you're affected by a travel delay when leaving or returning to the UK.

Why choose Admiral?

You can be insured almost anywhere worldwide and not only that, but also for a wide range of activities, including skiing, scuba diving, windsurfing, canoeing and more.

There's always a lot to worry about before heading off abroad, but if you purchase an Admiral policy, you'll have one less thing on your mind.

You'll be able to jet off safe in the knowledge your cover will be provided instantly, you'll have 24 hour emergency support and medical expenses cover up to £20million on our highest tier.

What if I have a pre-existing medical condition?

Call Medical Screening on 0333 234 9913 to discuss your condition and you may still be able to get travel insurance.

Alternatively, you can declare your conditions during the online quote process to see if cover can be offered.

Your pre-existing medical conditions won't be covered unless you have declared all conditions, received acceptance of this in writing, and paid any additional premium in full.

You'll still be able to get insured, all you'll need to do is check to see whether it's covered under the 'What is not covered' list of your policy wording guide. If the condition isn't on this list, or you have multiple conditions and one is not on this list, then you need to contact Medical Screening to declare all your pre-existing medical conditions.

Which countries am I covered in?

With Admiral Travel Insurance you're covered pretty much anywhere you want to go, but because 'pretty much everywhere' isn't everywhere, we've broken it down into three zones:

  • Europe
  • Worldwide excluding USA, Canada & Caribbean
  • Worldwide

One thing to note is no cover is provided under the policies for any trip to a country where the Foreign & Commonwealth Office advised against 'all travel' or 'all but essential travel'.

If you are not sure if there is a travel warning for your destination please check with the Foreign & Commonwealth Office.

How do I get a quote?

Call 0333 234 9913 for a Travel Insurance quote or buy online.

How do I make a claim?

If you have a medical emergency while you're abroad, you're injured, fall ill, or have to cut your trip short please call our 24-hour Emergency Assistance Helpline on +44 (0)292 010 7777 – please make sure you call before you seek medical treatment so we can help you.

If you need to make a claim and it's not an emergency call our claims team on 0333 234 9914 between 8am and 8pm Monday – Friday, or between 9am and 4pm Saturday. Closed Sundays and Bank Holidays.

Terms & Conditions

Mums Net Promotion

  1. Admiral is a trading name of EUI Limited (Company Number 02686904) whose registered office is at Ty Admiral, David Street, Cardiff CF10 2EH ("the Promoter").
  2. This promotion is open to all UK customers over the age of 18 who purchase a new travel insurance policy from Admiral Insurance via MumsNet between 7th May and 30th December 2018
  3. The promotion comprises of customers being eligible to receive 20% discount Admiral Travel Insurance for purchasing a new travel policy.
  4. To enter the promotion customers must use the discount code provided on the MumsNet website.
  5. The Promoter reserves the right to withdraw, modify or terminate this promotion in whole or in part in the event that it is necessary to do so.
  6. The terms and conditions of this promotion do not alter or vary the terms and conditions of any Admiral Travel Insurance policy which may be purchased.
  7. Applications for insurance policies provided by the Promoter are subject to its normal terms and conditions including its underwriting criteria. The Promoter reserves the right to decline any application for any insurance policy at its absolute discretion and is not obliged to disclose any reason for rejection. In these cases the customer will not be eligible to receive the discount.
  8. Any fraudulent activity or abuse relating to the receipt and use of the discount may result in the forfeiture of the discount and termination of the insurance policy.
  9. These terms and conditions are to be governed by English law and are subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.


  1. Discount is not available for any Admiral Group brand travel insurance policy renewals.
  2. The discount will only be available for new policy purchases made within the UK.
  3. The discounts will not be payable if a saved quote is used to purchase a policy. Customers must use the discount code to generate a new quote and purchase their new policy immediately.
  4. This promotion is not to be used in conjunction with any other Admiral promotions, offers, vouchers or discount codes unless listed on this page, or with any other discounts such as staff or student discounts.
Hide Show

Your questions answered

I don't live in the UK, can I get Admiral Travel Insurance?

Unfortunately not, our travel insurance is only available to permanent residents of the UK (England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales and the Isle of Man).

My partner and I live at separate addresses, can we still buy a couple policy?

No, you would need to buy individual policies. Our definitions are:

  • Individual policy – one adult aged 18 or over.
  • Couple policy - two adults aged 18 or over who live at the same address and are in a relationship.
  • Family policy - two adults aged 18 or over who live at the same address plus at least one child (maximum 5).
  • Family one adult policy – one adult plus at least one child (maximum 5).

What is your definition of Europe?

When we refer to Europe we are referring to the following countries and territories: Albania, Andorra, Austria, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark (including Faroe Islands), Egypt, Estonia, Finland (including Aland), France (including Corsica), Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy (including Sardinia and Sicily), Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Morocco, Netherlands, Norway (including Svalbard), Poland, Portugal (including Azores and Madeira), Republic of Ireland, Romania, Russia (West of Urals), San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain (including the Balearic and Canary Islands), Sweden, Switzerland, Tunisia, Turkey, Ukraine, The United Kingdom (including Channel Islands and Isle of Man), Vatican City.

How does Brexit affect my travel insurance?

There is no impact on your insurance policy. While the UK has voted to leave the European Union, it will take time to negotiate our exit, and so for the immediate future the UK will remain a member of the EU.

Can children travel alone?

Each insured child is only covered if they are travelling with a responsible adult.

Is it illegal to travel without travel insurance?

No, Travel insurance is not a legal requirement but it gives you cover against things like cancelled holidays, missed transports, missing luggage and injury while abroad.

What’s policy excess?

The policy excess is the amount you must pay towards any claim. The excess applies to each insured person and each event that leads to a claim.

Are there any charges to change my policy?

Yes, in the event of a change to your policy or you request duplicate documents by post, we will charge an administration fee, as shown on your Travel Insurance Summary.

Can I upgrade my travel policy after I’ve taken it out?

Of course! Simply call 0333 234 9913 to discuss with one of the team. Please be aware there are certain restrictions if you’ve already travelled.

Do you cover travellers over the age of 70 for Single Trip Travel Insurance policies?

Yes, the age limit for Single Trip Travel Insurance policies varies between 75 years and 79 years.

Do you cover travellers over the age of 70 for Annual Multi-Trip Travel Insurance policies?

Yes, the age limit for Annual Multi-trip Insurance policies varies between 70 years and 75 years.

How long can I travel for?

The maximum length of a Single Trip policy is 12 months. If you choose an Annual Multi-Trip policy you can take as many trips as you wish within 365 days (as per the dates shown on your policy schedule), providing each trip lasts no more than 31 days. Cover for extended trips may be available on request, subject to underwriting approval and payment of an additional premium.

Do you cover one way trips?

No, Admiral is not able to offer policies for one-way trips. In order to be eligible for our policies, you will need to be travelling from and returning to the UK.

I have an Annual Multi-Trip policy. What is the longest I can go on holiday for?

You can take as many trips as you wish within 365 days (as per the dates shown on your policy schedule), providing each trip lasts no more than 31 days. Cover for extended trips may be available on request, subject to underwriting approval and payment of an additional premium.

Am I covered for ash clouds?

Cover for catastrophes including fire, storm, lightning, avalanche, landslide, explosion, hurricane, earthquake, volcanic activity including ash cloud, flood, tidal wave, tsunami, medical epidemic or pandemic are all included as standard on our Gold and Platinum policies. This cover is not included in our Admiral level policy.

Can I get cover in the event of scheduled airline failure?

We will not pay any claim due to the actions or failure of any company providing or organising your transport or accommodation, to provide those services (whether caused by error, insolvency, bankruptcy, liquidation, omission, default or other reason).

Can I take out insurance if I am currently being diagnosed, under referral, awaiting an operation or haven’t been discharged from outpatient care?

Unfortunately Admiral is not able to offer Travel Insurance in these circumstances, but there are other specialist insurers who may offer cover for travellers in the above circumstances.

Why do I have to provide my medical details to get a quotation?

Declaring your medical details will ensure you are buying a policy which meets your needs. It’s important you supply accurate and complete answers to all questions as failure to do so could mean your policy is invalid and/or your claim is not paid in full or refused.

Do I need to declare existing medical conditions to get Admiral Travel insurance?

Declaring your medical details will ensure you are purchasing a policy which meets your needs. It’s important you supply accurate and complete answers to all questions as failure to do so could mean your policy is invalid and/or your claim is not paid in full or refused.

What should I do if I or someone travelling with me becomes ill during my holiday?

If you or someone covered by your policy becomes ill or is injured during your trip and needs emergency medical treatment, please go to a public medical facility and contact our 24 hour emergency assistance line on +44 (0)29 2010 7777 as soon as you can.

Please call this number if you're unsure where to get treatment, you think costs may go over £500, or you think you'll need to cut your trip short.

For minor ailments while abroad, pharmacies and public health facilities are often able to give advice and provide treatment. If costs are more than the policy excess and you want to make a claim, please keep all receipts and call our claims line on 0333 234 9914.

Is terrorism covered?

Terrorism is excluded from all sections of the policy except for the Emergency Medical and other expenses section, Personal Accident section and Hijack section (where cover is provided as part of the policy). Terrorism is any act or threat of action by a person or group intended to influence a government or to frighten the public or any section of it. Acts of terrorism can include violence against a person, damage to property, putting life in danger, creating a health risk to the public, interfering with or seriously disrupting computer systems or transport services including cyber terrorism, or biological, chemical or nuclear force or contamination.

What happens if I'm the victim of a terrorist attack while I'm abroad?

First of all, we hope that this is never the case. But, if you do need emergency assistance, please call +44 (0)29 2010 7777 at any time and we'll do everything we can to help.

Am I covered for private medical treatment?

No, you will need to have any private treatment pre-authorised by the Emergency Assistance Service. If you are travelling in Europe, Australia or New Zealand you can access public health services, free of charge and you won’t be required to pay any excesses on the Medical Expenses section of your policy.

What cover is there for dental treatment?

Under the emergency (medical) and other expenses section of your policy, you are covered for up to £350 for “emergency dental treatment for the immediate relief of pain to your natural teeth incurred outside of your home area” (subject to your excess).

Does my travel insurance allow someone to travel out to be with me if I am ill abroad?

Yes. If you've been given medical advice that someone should stay with you and that requires someone travelling from the UK to be with you, we'll cover the reasonable extra transport and accommodation costs (up to the policy limit) for that person.

Does being pregnant affect my travel insurance?

No, you don’t need to let us know if you’re travelling while pregnant. Our policies will cover you if any unexpected complications occur as a result of your pregnancy or childbirth; however our travel insurance doesn't provide cover for routine medical care such as check-ups, pre-natal care, normal childbirth and post natal care.

What happens if I can’t return from my trip on my planned date because of illness or injury; am I still covered?

Yes, we extend your policy and continue to provide cover in those circumstances where the delay is completely outside of your control.

What happens if I need replacement prescription medication when I'm abroad?

Please make sure you take enough medication to last your entire trip and include extra to allow for travel delays that may occur.

If you run out of prescription medication because you were unable to return home as planned because of illness or injury, we will pay for the cost of additional medication (a policy excess may apply).

If your medication is lost or stolen, we'll refund you the cost of replacing it (a policy excess may apply).

I’ve just found out I’m pregnant and I don’t wish to travel. Am I covered?

No, you’ll only be able to claim for cancellation due to pregnancy if your doctor advises against travel due to specific medical complications.

Are there any destinations I can't travel to under my travel insurance policy?

Yes, no matter which destination or area of cover you select when you buy your policy, your travel insurance will not cover you if you travel to somewhere the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advises not to go to. Information from the FCO can be found here or by calling 020 7008 1500.

Do you cover my car if it breaks down when I'm driving in Europe?

No, Admiral Travel Insurance doesn't cover car breakdown. However, if you have a Admiral Motor policy, you can extend this to provide European Breakdown Cover. This covers you and your car in case it breaks down while abroad in Europe.

What happens with if my baggage is delayed, lost or stolen?

If your baggage is delayed or lost in transit, you should tell the company that is transporting your baggage within 24 hours of discovery and ask them to complete a Property Irregularity Report or provide you with a baggage loss receipt. If your baggage is delayed for more than 12 hours from when you arrive at your destination, your policy provides cover for the purchase of necessary items (up to, £50, £100 or £150 depending on your tier of cover).

If your baggage is stolen, you should report this to the local police within 24 hours of discovering the theft and obtain a written report. You can claim (up to, £1,000, £1,500 or £2,000 depending on your tier of cover) for stolen or lost items. There is a single item limit and total valuables limit (up to, £200, £300 or £400 depending on your tier of cover).

What happens if I lose my passport while I'm on a trip?

You can make a claim for the cost of extra transport, accommodation and administration costs you have to pay to get a replacement passport or emergency travel document - we will pay up to, £300, £400 or £500 depending on your tier of cover) towards these costs.

Please keep all receipts and obtain written confirmation from the embassy / consulate showing the date of the incident and cost of the replacement passport.

If I need to extend my trip due to illness or injury, can I extend my travel insurance policy?

Yes, if you have to extend your trip for medical reasons our policies will automatically provide cover until you return home.

If you have a single trip policy and need to change your travel dates, you must contact us before you go on your trip.

If you have annual multi-trip cover, the maximum length per trip on the policy is 31 days.

If your annual multi-trip policy is due to end while you are on holiday and your policy is not set up to automatically renew, please contact us before you travel so we can arrange for your policy to continue while you're away.

What should I do if my travel is disrupted by severe weather?

If you are delayed for more than 12 hours at the place your transport is meant to go from, due to severe weather, we will pay you £25 for each 12 hours you are delayed (up to a maximum of £250).

If the departure of your transport is delayed for more than 24 hours or cancelled and cannot be rearranged for over 24 hours, cover is provided (for costs up to £1,000 on Admiral, £2,500 on Admiral Gold and £5,000 on Admiral Platinum) if you decide to cancel or abandon your trip.

Additional transport and accommodation cover* - If you decide to continue with your trip after being delayed for more than 24 hours or because your transport was cancelled and no alternative could be found within 24 hours of your original departure time, we will reimburse you (up to either £500, £750 or £1,000 depending on your tier of cover) for additional transport and accommodation costs (to a similar standard of your pre-booked arrangements) you have to pay to reach your destination or to get home.

*Please note we won't make any payments which are not additional to costs you were expecting to pay, e.g. if you get a refund and the cost of alternative transport or accommodation is less than the refund. Further info available in travel insurance policy booklet for full details.

I forgot to buy travel insurance before I left the UK, can I still be covered?

No, to be eligible for Admiral Travel Insurance you must buy it while in the UK- you can’t take out Admiral Travel Insurance once you have passed through Customs.

Will my travel insurance cover me if the travel agent/tour operator/airline company goes into administration?

Your travel insurance doesn’t cover this. If they are an ABTA member, you can submit a claim to them for the cost of your holiday.

What happens if strike/industrial action disrupts my trip?

Provided you were unaware of the strike/industrial action at the time you booked your policy, and it was not public knowledge, we will pay up to the policy limits shown in your policy schedule for irrecoverable costs you have paid.

Show Hide