Australia travel insurance


Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Google plus Email

If you're travelling to Australia, you need to make sure you have the right travel insurance for your trip.


If you’re planning a holiday to Australia or are thinking of going ‘Down Under’ for a longer stay, we can see why! Australia offers an abundance of experiences and natural beauty, from tropical coral reefs, luscious rainforests and white sandy coastlines to Ayers Rock and its scorched red deserts. If that’s not enough, it’s also home to vibrant metropoles and cultural hubs, including Sydney, Perth and Melbourne.  

But before you add much more to your Oz itinerary, you’ll need to get some basics in place – such as finding the right travel insurance and organising your visa. Read on!

What travel insurance do I need to go to Australia?

The travel insurance you need largely depends on the type of trip you’re taking, how long you’re going for and your destination. We offer two options when it comes to worldwide travel insurance; Worldwide and Worldwide excluding USA, Canada and Caribbean.

Popular stop-over destinations for Australia include Hong Kong, Bangkok, Singapore and Dubai and, if you’re planning to visit one of these countries as well as Australia, our worldwide insurance will cover you here, too.

Most of us would count going to Australia as a special holiday so, if this is your only trip away this year, our single trip insurance is a good option. It provides cover for a continuous trip of up to 365 days – which also makes it ideal if you’re planning a much longer stay, such as a backpacking holiday or taking a gap year.

On the other hand, if you’re thinking of going on several trips within the year, our annual multi-trip travel insurance will allow you to come back to the UK in between, with the cover remaining in place each time you return to Oz. With both types of insurance, we offer three levels of cover, enabling you to tailor your insurance to suit your specific needs.

Healthcare in Australia

If you become injured or unwell in Australia, you can take advantage of the reciprocal healthcare arrangement that exists between Australia and the UK. This means that if you’re a British passport holder, you’re entitled to limited subsidised health services for any medically necessary treatment during your stay.

The standard of hospitals and healthcare in Australia is excellent and the country is very safe to travel around - in fact, you’re unlikely to experience anything worse than a groaning waistline from some serious holiday overindulgence!

Be warned, however, that the reciprocal partnership is no substitute for travel insurance, particularly if you need to be flown home in an emergency or you’re the victim of theft.

Visit your GP four to six weeks before you leave for Australia, to see if you need any vaccinations. You can also check up-to-date travel health information and recommendations specifically for Australia and other countries on the TravelHealthPro website.

driving-through-the-outback-in-australiaWill my travel insurance cover adventure sports?

Admiral travel insurance provides cover for a range of adventurous activities, including surfing and scuba diving as standard. However, when planning any adventure sports, it’s best to read the small print of your policy booklet or phone us before you go, to double check you’re fully covered.

Australia’s incredibly diverse terrain means there’s a host of activities available to enjoy across the country. You can scuba dive the Great Barrier Reef, go canyoning in the Blue Mountains, experience white water rafting on the Tully River or go surfing, paragliding, climbing, sky-diving, trekking, hot air ballooning, bushwalking… the list is endless! Just don’t forget to tell us before you go bungee jumping or diving with sharks!

Skiing may not spring to mind when dreaming of Australian weather, but if you’re in the know about the popular Thredbo resort between Sydney and Melbourne, don’t forget our skiing insurance. Similarly, if you’re planning to see the Australian shores from the comfort of a cruise ship, take a look at our cruise cover.

Working in Australia

Like many travellers, if you’re going to be in the country for an extended stay, you might decide to get some temporary work to help fund your ongoing expenses.

When looking for work, it’s worth bearing in mind that, while we provide cover if you get a job working in an office or waiting tables, any paid or unpaid manual work – such as volunteering on a farm in exchange for accommodation, for example – will not be covered.

Final tips for visitors

We recommend taking out travel insurance as soon as your trip is booked. This way, you’re covered if you need to cancel your plans for any reason. Admiral Travel Insurance also provides cover if you need to cut short your trip in an emergency.

You do need a visa to enter Australia and you need to apply for it in good time. Depending on the type of visa you need, it can take more than 45 days to process, so applying early will minimise any stress!

Also, remember to cover your gadgets. Now a holiday essential, they capture those once-in-a-lifetime moments and help us to stay in touch with our loved ones back home.

You can add our gadget insurance upgrade to your policy to protect your tech should it get lost, stolen or damaged during your trip. This will help to make sure that your holiday is truly memorable for all the right reasons!

Share with your friends

Travel Insurance

20% discount when you buy through

Your discount's applied automatically when you buy online

Get a quote What's covered?