Driving in Europe: make sure you are insured


Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Google plus Email

Your Admiral car insurance policy covers you for driving in most EU countries, including:

  • Great Britain, Northern Ireland, Isle of Man and Channel Islands
  • Any other country which is a member of the European Union
  • Norway, Switzerland, Iceland, Andorra, Liechtenstein and Croatia

You won't need to contact us before driving in any of these countries as long your trip does not exceed 30 days, but you will need to take your Certificate of Motor Insurance with you.

Your insurance will also cover the car while being transported by air, sea or rail between these countries.

Your International Motor Insurance Certificate will cover you for a maximum of 30 consecutive days in any one trip up to a maximum of 90 days in any one year. If you do wish to exceed the 90 days then call our customer services team.

Make sure you plan your route beforehand just in case you travel through a country which your insurance wouldn't automatically cover you for or that you'd require a Green Card to travel through.

If you find you do then call customer services on the number above. The authorities will not accept photocopies of Green Cards as proof of minimum insurance.

Find out more:

· Driving in Europe: everything you need to know

· Be safe

Share with your friends