Make sure you read our checklist before signing on the dotted line
Buying a new car can be confusing, especially when it comes to how to finance your purchase, but we can help you out.
Use our simple 12 point guide to ensure you ask the right questions, whether you are arranging finance at home, at the dealership or making a comparison of finance options – it’s your right to shop around for the right credit for you.
Don’t forget to read our guide to different car finance options first to understand how each one works.
We want to help you make the right decisions for you, so before you start shopping for a new car, here are some important things for you to consider:
- It’s your money, it’s your choice – shop around. You are free to apply for finance from any provider you choose – online or in the garage
- Do some research first – look at the total cost of finance options online before you go to the garage so you have a point of comparison already to hand
- Be confident. Don’t panic about being credit checked – you’ll already know if you’re in a position to afford a new vehicle, so don’t let the pressure of a credit check make you sign on any dotted lines before you are ready
- Understand the finance details – the rates, your monthly repayments and importantly the total amount payable before you sign any agreements
- Don’t give away too much information – keep your monthly budget close to your chest to avoid finance being made to fit your budget at your own long-term expense. Get their best offer the first time and see if this works to your budget, and not the other way round. Questions to fill in a loan application form will never ask ‘how much can you afford per month?’ so don’t feel like you have to disclose this if asked by the salesperson
- It’s not a race. Finance options are very rarely available for 24 hours only – in most cases you will have up to 14 days to accept an offer of finance once it’s been formally made.
Admiral Car Finance Checklist
Our car finance checklist could help you to tick off everything you need to check before deciding on car finance. Click to expand the list, print it off and take it with you when searching for your new car.