Keep your home safe from burglars with these great tips from Admiral
According to West Yorkshire police, one in four burglaries occurred because the property was insecure. To keep your home as safe as possible, try these simple steps which could make a big difference in avoiding the risk of burglary.
Top 9 tips to secure your home:
- Lock all windows and doors this includes any upper levels and side gates. Even leaving a window slightly ajar could be enough to entice a criminal
- Lock ladders away dont leave a ladder outside which could provide easy access to your home
- Dont leave valuables on display - close your curtains in the evenings. Though its nice to put presents under the tree, if visible from outside its probably best to keep them tucked away for as long as possible
- Outdoor lighting - motion censored outdoor lighting will light up the outside of your house when anyone approaches. A well lit house isnt an easy target for crooks creeping around
- Gravel if you are thinking of sprucing up your front garden or driveway, using gravel provides an extra security benefit. No burglar will be able to approach quietly with a gravel entrance
- Friendly neighbours - if youre away for a few days and know your neighbours well, ask them to keep an eye on your house. Tell them not to mention that youre away if anyone asks them
- Light switch timers - police advise to leave a light on to deter burglars. A light switch timer will allow you to turn your lights on and off when youre out of the house
- Anti-climb paint - this is also known as non-drying paint or anti-intruder paint. A thick oily coating applied to your garden fence gives a smooth gloss finish but remains slippery indefinitely, helping prevent any intruder getting a foothold as well as covering them in paint!
- Keep valuables safe - if you have any particularly expensive or sentimental items such as jewellery, you might want to consider putting them in a safe.
Burglars want to be in and out as quickly as possible. Any deterrents you can put in place will make this difficult and help keep your home safe.
Does my home insurance cover me for theft?
Insurers offer different types of cover to suit your needs:
Home insurance covers both buildings and your contents
Buildings insurance is cover only for your building
Contents insurance is cover just for your possessions
According to the Association of British Insurers (ABI) the average contents value in a three bedroom home is £55,000. The ABI gives this great advice on how to value the contents of your home. Or you can use our Contents Calculator for guidance.
Keep your home, family and valuables protected by making sure you have the right home insurance cover for you.
If the worst does happen, read our guide on what to do if you are burgled.